OWB - ...which one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

headrc

Mar 28, 2008
MidEast Tennessee
So now after rethinking my whole need which includes financial justification ...I have narrowed the field down to two OWBs that are in my price range. One is made of 409 stainless steel (fire box and water sleeve) but it only holds a reservoir of 120 gallons and then another one made of mild steel (3/8s thick) but it holds 170 gallons. There are some other differences, the mild steel OWB is a very simple design just a fire box with a water sleeve and a chimney down into the firebox. The stainless steel one has a firebox with a baffle design that forces the smoke to recirculate some and reburn that smoke ....but it is not gasification. Prices are about even on the two and I have have talked to owners of both stoves ....both new owners as well as older owners. One owner of the mild steel stove has owned it for 15 years with no problems, and one owner of the stainless steel has owned it for 8 years with no problem. Everyone is happy with their stoves ...in fact the 15 year owner of the mild steel stove is located in Missouri with 2400 sq ft. He says he uses about 3 cords of wood on average a year and keeps his house warm. So it is a choice of stainless with smaller water capacity and mild steel with larger water capacity. The names of the stoves are Shaver and American Royall for those that are interested.

Their web sites are:
http://www.americanroyal.net/page/page/3245634.htm - The model 69 is the stove
http://www.outdoorwoodfurnaceboiler.com/Purchase-an-outdoor-wood-furnace.htm - The model 165 is the stove

I know everyone favors gasification here ...but I have decided the payback is too long for a unit like that in my area.

Any advice that someone can give me on making a decision is appreciated. Thx again guys, RH

409 Stainless is a joke... I don't even know how they can construe that stuff as stainless......

Put some 409 stainless exhaust pipe on your car..... It will be rusted out 3 times over while my aluminized mild steel system will be going strong...

409 WILL RUST....... Which, IMHO means that it's NOT stainless.... Heck, you can stick a magnet to it!

I don't know really.. 304 is good stuff (food grade) but I'm not sure how well it takes to the extreme heat... I think I read somewhere of cracking problems.... Course, that was by a company make stoves out of 409.... So who can you trust? It is true that 409 takes heat cycling better, but that's because of the iron in it.... Which is why it rusts.......

My vote is get good mild steel and save your money.. I'm currently cutting my OWB apart to use the steel to make my gasifier... It's 1/8" mild steel, the stove is about 8-9 years old (according the the previous owners) and shows no signs of being even close to rusting out.. And these folks didn't even maintain it at all (there's like 2" of rust sediment in the bottom of the stove.. :O )

Heat transfer with stainless is no match for steel. I don't think the Hardy has enough water to recover without it burning more often, which means more wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.