Oxygen sensor question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
The O2 sensor (front) went in my 2000 Impala, so I removed it an got another one. Upon going to install it, I came to find that the connector was different. The new one has a small "tab" in it that will not allow it to fit on the original connector. Can I just cut the tab on the new sensor out so that it fits? Thanks.

Usually you want a proper mating connection for a solid connection. I'd cut off the old connector and then crimp on the correct one. The auto supply store will have what you need.

I purchased a generic one for my car, and it came with a couple of connectors that I had to assemble for myself, using the parts suited to my car. It has been working for a few years now. Good quality parts, and it was watertight when assembled.

don't cut that wire. the wire on my o2 sensor were steel. you can't solder on the older plug. there must be different o2 sensors for different applications with the same motor. i wouldn't cut it i'd bring it back with the old sensor in hand to match it up.

fbelec said:
don't cut that wire. the wire on my o2 sensor were steel. you can't solder on the older plug. there must be different o2 sensors for different applications with the same motor. i wouldn't cut it i'd bring it back with the old sensor in hand to match it up.

Get the proper sensor, upstream o2 is what the ECM uses to adjust fuel trim. The wrong sensor can cause multiple problems, & poor mileage, as well as cat conv. damage. A C

You got the wrong sensor, take it back and get the right one and you won't have to cut anything.

fbelec said:

True, most universal type sensors have threaded compression butt splice connectors. You may have gotten the rear sensor by mistake.

Many years, around 1999/2000 with CA emissions have an upstream AF [air/fuel] sensor and an o2 sensor downstream. Maybe you have the wrong sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.