P23i Auger Jam Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ddubs77

Nov 1, 2010
Bristol, CT
I came back inside from hanging up the christmas lights only to see that the stove went out. So I inspect and find that the auger is jammed. I then took a flashlight and a mirror and coat hanger hoping to clear the blockage at the shoot. No luck. All clear Its jammed somewhere else. My question is how do I get to the auger blockage? I have never took it apart so I dont know what I'm dealing with, but I want to attempt to clear it myself . Any suggestions? I emptied the hopper and I can get my hand down in and feel the auger and there are loose pellets at the feed...nothing feels jammed. When I push the manual feed the auger tries to turn, but can't. This sucks. I have been burning oil for two days while the beast is down. If anybody is familiar with the Breckwell P23i and can give me some tips I'd be greatfull. I read a post here about the auger jam being an easy fix on the p23i, but I couldnt follow what the original poster described. Thanks

I have a different model Breckwell, but they have all the owners manuals on their website, here's the P23: http://breckwell.com/Manuals/P23_Manual.pdf

From the manual:

Start by emptying the hopper. Then remove the auger motor by

removing the auger pin. Remove the auger shaft inspection plate in

the hopper so that you can see the auger shaft. Gently lift the auger

shaft straight up so that the end of the auger shaft comes up out of

the bottom auger bushing. Next, remove the two nuts that hold the

top auger biscuit in. Then rotate the bottom end of the auger shaft

up towards you until you can lift the shaft out of the stove. After you

have removed the shaft, inspect it for bent flights, burrs, or broken

welds. Remove any foreign material that might have caused the

jam. Also, check the auger tube for signs of damage such as burrs,

rough spots, or grooves cut into the metal that could have caused a

jam.

I just realized that section in the manual thanks. I tried to tinker with it to no avail. Not the most thorough directions. I tried removing the auger motor but got as far as removing the battery looking thing that bolts up to the auger plate, put it back together and now the auger does not even make a sound when I push the manual feed. Before it made a clunk sound as it tried to turn. I can't remove the Damn auger motor. I don't have a clip that holds it in place on my model...its more like a small set screw that's impossible to remove. It's a pain. Can anybody recommend a company that can service my stove in my area( CT?) I plan on calling a few local places in the am. I don't want to, but I can't find a YouTube video, photos or detailed directions of what I need to do

I removed the motor, and freed the jam. A big nail. Thanks green team....now I reinstalled everything only to find that the auger isn't turning. Something is up with the motor. The power source that mounts to the auger motor plate is buzzing when I hit the manual feed, but the auger isn't engaging. The part that looks like a drill bit isn't engaging any gearing, thus not turning the auger. What am I missing here? When the gear that looks like a drill bit slides into the auger motor plate it spins freely. It's not catching. Any suggestions?

Normally there is a collar or some sortt og coupling that joins the auger to the auger motors shaft. This has a screw of some kind or a cotter pin to secure that auger to the motor.

If there is a screw it should be aligned so the end hits the flat part of the auger motor shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.