P38 combustion wrong?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ducker

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Leominster, MA
So I had my stove serviced this summer by the installation company, and they replaced the fan blower
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/p38-replacement-fan-blower.93348/

Now my understanding is that this only controls the air that blows out in to the room - is that correct?
It appears that now the pellets in the burnpot are now getting too much airflow, and the flame in the burn pot is way to short, it looks like it is burning fast when I put it to around a 3 setting

When I turned it down to a 1-2 the pellets actually started looking like they were piling up (ie. not burning fast enough) And the air blower to the room kicked off - even though the unit was quite hot to the touch still.

Anyone have any thoughts on this one prior to me calling up the store and attempting to describe this above situation to them. I originally felt as if the burning pot air feed needs to be just slightly tweeked but that only makes sense if the new blower unit feeds both sides (air in to the room, and air to the burn pot)

Thanks for any and all feedback

-m

Combustion and distribution/convection blowers are 2 separate items.

From what you describe, your stove sounds like its running normally. Try a different pellet and see if that changes things to your liking.

To elaborate, depending on how old your stove is, you may have only a "stove temp" mode. If its newer, you have "stove temp" and "room temp". The former is driven by the ESP and the latter, the reading received by the temp sensor thingy.

In the case of an older stove, the distribution fan will not kick in until the ESP reaches a certain temperature threshold at which point it'll kick on to whatever you have the speed setting at. This will be determined by what number you have the temp dial set at and this WILL change depending on the pellets. Hotter burning pellets = less pellets delivered to the pot to maintain what the ESP wants.

A similar thing will happen on a newer dual mode stove running in "room mode" except the room sensor probe will dictate whether the fan is on or not. If the probe isn't calling for heat, the stove will run in idle mode until it calls for heat at which point the fan kicks on and more pellets are fed to the pot. If your fan stayed on all the time, the room would overheat because the stove can't burn any lower.

I think there's a far better written explanation up in the sticky section and I apologize if I've written any hokey info here. You may just need to thoroughly clean your stove, particularly your burnpot. If it burns fine on 3 I don't know why it wouldn't burn fine on lower settings. Are you sure it's unburned pellets your seeing and not ash?

EDIT- I'm not saying there doesn't need to be an adjustment made either.

I do think it was a bad set of pellets... because I pushed through that bad and put a new bag in there and it is burning a lot cleaner - to what I have experienced in the past.
It was the combustion fan that I thought was pushing out too much air now on the burnpot. And the temp dropping lower than what the ESP would like to kick on the distribution fan, despite the fact that the side of the pellet stove was still very hot to the touch.

Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.