P61A HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mkeego

Jan 6, 2017
New Hampshire
Hi all, I have a 8 year old p61a that has worked flawlessly till now. Stove will not light & combustion blower runs all the time. Thought esp was dirty so i cleaned out all the ash but still not working. Do not have any lights flashing, all seems normal. It has done this a few times recently but if you turn it off and unplug for 10 min and reconnect it would start & work normally.

I'm thinking i need a new exhaust temp sensor??

It may just be a dead igniter. I would light the stove manually using a torch and see how it does. It's normal for the combustion blower to run all the time.

What color esp do you have? 8 years is pretty good for an igniter to last. Have you cleaned the holes in the burnpot and cleaned under burnpot where igniter is?

I don't know about the ignitor but the auger does not run and no pellets in the pot. I can see unburned pellets in the auger but not at the burn pot yet.

haven't pulled the side cover yet so i don't know what color the esp is.

Put it in "test" mode and tell us what happens. You should have the combustion fan, distribution fan, and auger all running in test mode.

Did you do the dollar bill test of your gaskets on your doors? Or your pressure switch may be bad or tube cracked. When is the last time you cleaned the stove exhaust pipes?

In test mode I have both fans but no auger or feed led. how can I test the auger motor? Can it be jammed?

It could be jammed, or one of your doors is ajar. Make sure the ash pan door is closed all the way.

Update. Went to stove to try and do some more tests. Before I checked all the doors and gaskets I put in test mode 1 more time. No auger but both fans work, as I turned test mode off auger worked for a second. Unsure if it really worked I went to test mode again and now auger is turning. Turned test mode off and started stove in room temp mode. All seems to be working properly now but this is the third time in a few weeks this stove has stopped working. Stove is now clean and is full of pellets and working, I'll just have to wait for it to quit again:)

You could have hit and miss contact on your control knobs. You could spray them with contact cleaner and rotate them. Just another possibility.

Or you control board could be showing some age at 8 years old... There are threads here you can find in the search on cleaning the knobs with spray. Do simple cheap stuff first.

Reactions: bogieb
Sounds like a bad ESP. I had one the other day with same symptom where stove working irratic and fan not shutting off. Ended up ESP was reading 125f when it should be reading about 65f so it thinks it still needs to cool off to shut down. You cant check it without diagnostic tool but I would bet on it. just have to see if you have a red or black wire to get the correct one.

Reactions: bags