P61A won't shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesj

Feb 16, 2009
Western MD
I'm in need of help.

My P61A- 5 years old, doesn't want to shut down. I don't recall having this problem before, so I'm really scratching my head here.

Yesterday, my wife turned the stove to off around noon, and it was still doing a maintenance feed into the evening. I don't have any unusual lights. I cleaned the heck out of the stove a couple of weeks ago and have burned less than 10 bags so far this season.

I thought it might be the esp (I go through about 1 a year), so I stopped by the dealer this afternoon and replaced it. Guess what? Still doing the same flippin' thing- maintenance burn with no sign of shutting down.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike SJ

Perhaps, loose wire at thermostat terminals on stove...or if not using stat, jumper wire loose at stove.

Keep us updated as to what you find.

mikesj said:
I'm in need of help.

My P61A- 5 years old, doesn't want to shut down. I don't recall having this problem before, so I'm really scratching my head here.

Yesterday, my wife turned the stove to off around noon, and it was still doing a maintenance feed into the evening. I don't have any unusual lights. I cleaned the heck out of the stove a couple of weeks ago and have burned less than 10 bags so far this season.

I thought it might be the esp (I go through about 1 a year), so I stopped by the dealer this afternoon and replaced it. Guess what? Still doing the same flippin' thing- maintenance burn with no sign of shutting down.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike SJ

tell us more.......bringing in outside air perhaps, with the termination of the pipe VERY close to the intake? In warm weather like we are having, there is the possibility that your exhaust is preheating your intake air, never allowing it to get low enough in temperature to all ow the ESP to shut things down......if you do have outside air installed, just remove one end of the pipe, let the stove suck air from the room, and see if it shuts down then......

I've seen that kinda thing from the really old P61 with the wacky micro switch on the feeder, but I dont know if I've ever seen the micro on a P61A before. Any chance your unit was retrofit to be auto ignition? then again, I havent seen a micro switch on a machine thats only 5 years old either, hmmm. I've also seen very prolonged shutdown from pullin the burning coals out of the burnpot and into the ash pan (thus keeping them smoldering for a very long time). and what Louseyweather says.

Is it possible that your mode selector knob is out of alignment?
That could lead you to beieve it's off , but might still be
slightly into one of the "temp" modes.
Turn the knob fully clockwise, verify the pointer is at "H" on room temp.
Re-set the knobif needed.
HTH

No outside air, not a retrofit ignitor. I'm thinking control board at this point- I will keep everyone posted.

I also have a 5 year old P61A, drawing inside air and I am having the same problem with mine (not shutting down). The flame starts high when I first start it and it adjusts down to an idle as the room warms up just like it should. I replaced the room temp sensor probe, ESP probe, and the control panel but it is still not going into shut down. I did extend the room temp sensor cable with 18-2 thermostat wire before installing the new one but now I am going to try shortening it up to its original length again. In the mean time does anybody have any other suggestions to offer?

I'm starting the 8 season with a Harmon P61 that we use for 90% plus heating, 5 plus tons a year. Changed an ESP probe once within the three year warranty and no other problems untill now. I usually run fall nights with 20 or 30 pounds in the hopper for the night and let the stove burn out and shut down in the morning but this year it just keeps running after it is out of fuel. I mean room air fan, pelllet feed, everything. First time ever we had a fire in the stove pipe. I had cleaned everything this fall and have only been through the first dozen bags and found more accumulation than ever in the combustion fan outlet. We bought Heartland pellets that are pine and have a different ash. Hard black glassy pitch stuck to the back between the burn pot and fan, had to chip loose the latch on the fan shroud. I don't think we should burn these pellets at a real low feed rate, should have bought a couple tons of spring/fall pellets. Is the control board the first thing to check? How much do they cost and have they been upgraded in the last 8 years? We love pellet heat and are used to filling the hopper and leaving the house but I'm a little concerned. Thanks for any suggestions, fighting the chill in Wisconsin..

p54davison said:
I'm starting the 8 season with a Harmon P61 that we use for 90% plus heating, 5 plus tons a year. Changed an ESP probe once within the three year warranty and no other problems untill now. I usually run fall nights with 20 or 30 pounds in the hopper for the night and let the stove burn out and shut down in the morning but this year it just keeps running after it is out of fuel. I mean room air fan, pelllet feed, everything. First time ever we had a fire in the stove pipe. I had cleaned everything this fall and have only been through the first dozen bags and found more accumulation than ever in the combustion fan outlet. We bought Heartland pellets that are pine and have a different ash. Hard black glassy pitch stuck to the back between the burn pot and fan, had to chip loose the latch on the fan shroud. I don't think we should burn these pellets at a real low feed rate, should have bought a couple tons of spring/fall pellets. Is the control board the first thing to check? How much do they cost and have they been upgraded in the last 8 years? We love pellet heat and are used to filling the hopper and leaving the house but I'm a little concerned. Thanks for any suggestions, fighting the chill in Wisconsin..

does your status light on CB blink 2 times??

easy way to pinpoint it: The stove will not shut off untill internal temp os below 90 deg F... put a pipe thermoneter on the side, and see what the temp is to get a good gauge on it shutting down properly. Sometimes these things retain the heat from a burn for a while longer than you'd think. It will not stop doing the gradual "burn down" feed of the fire untill the temp is below @220F, so the thermo will give you a good gauge there, too.

It is running 12 hours latter and way down to room temperature. How much should I have to pay for a new board? Should I plan on putting in a new ESP probe at the same time and how much are they? Thaks

get the new red probe circuit board (150 i thx) w/ the red esp probe, and get the 11$ crossover air kit = all up to date and no problems

From the Harman trouble-shooting guide:
2 Blinks: Stoves with a jumper - at position J2 - on the rear of the Control Board, the jumper is not connected or has a bad connection
Stoves with feeder position microswitch,located on the side of the feeder housing, the 2 blinks indicate the control has not sensed the microswitch to be closed for 30 minutes.Check for obstruction in the feeder od a bentarm on the microswitch.
The stove will operate normally with this status error until shut down is attempted. When turned to the "off" position, the stove will go into a minimum burn & continue to run til the hopper empties.

Status
Not open for further replies.