pacific energy Super 27 or dutchwest 2461

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neumsky

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2011
Oklahoma City
It's down to the two & will probably go with majority rules...Thanx Jeff

All right I will bite, I thought you already bought a stove?

I put money down on the PE...but am having second thoughts.

If you are having second thoughts than just get what you want. If you aren't happy now then you are just setting yourself up to be unhappy with the stove. They are both good stoves and will perform well. Good luck making the decision I know it can be hard sometimes lol.

BeGreen....YOU ARE TOO FUNNY! Certified...I could'nt agree with you more...it's just I have reservations on catalysts because I'm unfamiliar with them or some people have bad experience with them.... Help! Also...the DW is switching hands???

neumsky said:
BeGreen....YOU ARE TOO FUNNY! Certified...I could'nt agree with you more...it's just I have reservations on catalysts because I'm unfamiliar with them or some people have bad experience with them.... Help! Also...the DW is switching hands???

Remind me.. which one does she like, now?

:)

She definately likes the cast iron DW better...but she almost always lets me have my way. I'm just trying to make the most educated decision. I like the looks of the cast iron better also. And I've heard that there is good cast iron & bad cast iron... is the DW good cast iron? I know Precauds laughing his butt off.

I'm guessing a factor is the look of the stove. If so, bring home an Alderlea T5 instead and surprise her. It worked for my wife and she is really fussy.

Truly though, I can't give you a strong reason not to get the DW if that is your preference. It will need a larger hearth and clearances for the side load. And it will take a bit more finesse to run. But it has been a good heater for many. Be sure you have a good dry wood supply.

Ok...I appreciate that...I think I will go lay hands & eyes on the DW this morning and drool all over myself. I have to admit that I get more excited when I think about the DW. It's massive...meaty profile. I do like the super 27 also and probably would be very happy with it. So I'm not counting it out yet. Kinda reminds me of how I had to go thru with finding my wife haha. You like that Alderlea BeGreen and how long have you had it?

I started with the tube style type stoves. After hearing all about the cats the second stove was slated to be one.

I like both. I think that a cat can give you more of a range of temps than the tubes can. I like knowing i can crank her way down and have the cat chew up all the dirty stuff. Tube styles are pretty easy to run, am make boatloads of heat too. The cat stove can hold coals, or burn longer than the tubes i have, my opinion.

Im stange and enjoy playing with the things too much, so having a cat or another thing to toy with works for me.
I do like the looks of the dw. Was on the short list for choosing a cat stove.

Good luck.

Stump...I'm with you as far as fidgiting with things. But part of me wants to know...Are they phasing out cats...or will they keep them in the arena...due to increasing burn standards?

neumsky said:
Stump...I'm with you as far as fidgiting with things. But part of me wants to know...Are they phasing out cats...or will they keep them in the arena...due to increasing burn standards?

I would say they'll be around for a little while yet. I'm sure we'll see more hybrids like the 2n1 and Progress.

neumsky said:

If you like toying with it id say go with a cat. Thats not saying you can set and forget them either.

I dont have the proof, someone can help with that, and i dont want to start a war, but i believe cats typically have higher efficiencies and lower emission rates.

I think the Dutchwest cat stove are one of the best bangs for the buck. My opinion is their non-cat stoves are not so good based on comments from owners on this forum who have had trouble with their everburn system. I was leaning very strongly towards the 2461 before I bought my Englander 30. Were it not for the 30's $649 price at the time, it is very likely the DW would be in my new addition. The 2461 has a large glass, large firebox, is a cat stove, two door - side and front. I liked the front door just to make things easier to clean the glass. It has a nice ash pan too and is a convective stove. One thing with the 2461 is that you will have an 8 inch flue vs 6. Not a problem if you are going into an existing chimney of that size or a bit larger or you are putting up a new chimney.

Having said that, the PE stove are great and as begreen said, the Alderlea stoves are very nice on the eyes too.

Good luck,
Bill

I've always loved the looks of the Dutchwest's. Hear good and bad things about them but I'm guessing most of the bad things were due to wet wood and lack of maintenance. Do they still have a seperate secondary air control? It may take a little longer learning curve with the DW but there's plenty of people here to help with that.

leeave96 said:
I think the Dutchwest cat stove are one of the best bangs for the buck. My opinion is their non-cat stoves are not so good based on comments from owners on this forum who have had trouble with their everburn system. I was leaning very strongly towards the 2461 before I bought my Englander 30. Were it not for the 30's $649 price at the time, it is very likely the DW would be in my new addition. The 2461 has a large glass, large firebox, is a cat stove, two door - side and front. I liked the front door just to make things easier to clean the glass. It has a nice ash pan too and is a convective stove. One thing with the 2461 is that you will have an 8 inch flue vs 6. Not a problem if you are going into an existing chimney of that size or a bit larger or you are putting up a new chimney.

Having said that, the PE stove are great and as begreen said, the Alderlea stoves are very nice on the eyes too.

Good luck,
Bill

Actually that is incorrect it requires a 6" flue and it has a 6" reversible flue collar. Only the XL requires recommends an 8" Flue
Here is the link to the specs. in case you need them Neumsky
http://majesticproducts.com/family/Stoves/Catalytic/DutchWest/

Todd said:
I've always loved the looks of the Dutchwest's. Hear good and bad things about them but I'm guessing most of the bad things were due to wet wood and lack of maintenance. Do they still have a seperate secondary air control? It may take a little longer learning curve with the DW but there's plenty of people here to help with that.

They do have a secondary air control however in my opinion it isn't worth messing with to much. I would open it between an 1/8 to 1/4 of the way open and pretty much forget about it.

neumsky said:
Ok...I appreciate that...I think I will go lay hands & eyes on the DW this morning and drool all over myself. I have to admit that I get more excited when I think about the DW. It's massive...meaty profile. I do like the super 27 also and probably would be very happy with it. So I'm not counting it out yet. Kinda reminds me of how I had to go thru with finding my wife haha. You like that Alderlea BeGreen and how long have you had it?

3 seasons now, and yes, we like it a lot.

certified106 said:
Todd said:

They do have a secondary air control however in my opinion it isn't worth messing with to much. I would open it between an 1/8 to 1/4 of the way open and pretty much forget about it.

The ability to control, and yes another thing to fidgit with was very interesting to me.

The Alderlea T5 is essentially a Super 27 with a cast iron skin.

Stump_Branch said:
certified106 said:
Todd said:

The ability to control, and yes another thing to fidgit with was very interesting to me.

That's exactly why I don't have a complex stove. One phone call or pot boiling over and my wife can totally forget about the stove. Not that I haven't done the same on occasion. :red:

BeGreen said:
Stump_Branch said:
certified106 said:
Todd said:

That's exactly why I don't have a complex stove. One phone call or pot boiling over and my wife can totally forget about the stove. Not that I haven't done the same on occasion. :red:

The wife does quite well running the stoves....most of the time. The cat stove has been quite a learning curve for both of us, but i fear she is still lagging behind a bit.

Hi Jeff,
I was surprised to see you still thinking things through. Better to be safe than sorry though. BTW Bill, the 2461 has a 6" exhaust, the xl 2462 has the 8".
What I'm going to say probably won't make your decision easier. I love the 2461, but like you've heard other stoves can and will do a good job.

I agree with the comment from Be Green, if you like the cast iron, bring home the T5 or T6. Mostly based on the original posts when you stated the KISS theory being a big criteria. Although, mastering any modern stove presents a learning curve.

The plus about the cat is its ability to offer a low and slow burn with good heat output and secondary burn function. There is nothing that tough about operating the 2461. It likes to have good draft and the manual states a 16' run from the top of the stove to the cap is preferable. This is mostly because a low and slow burn requires a good pull from the chimney. With the Dw, you can start a fire and go out to work in as little as 15-20 minutes. Or as long as a half an hour depending if you have a cold start. Dry wood is always a plus, though I burned less than seasoned wood with a degree of success. The look of it compared to the alternative is no doubt a winner.

If I was faced with the same question I might chose the PE if I was considering the numbers alone. Although the Dw puts out 55,000btu the PE about 36,000 with test wood.
People here may say the numbers are closely tied to marketing, but they are all we have
to go by. Let me ask you, which one has the bigger firebox?

The PE may be a faster heater, the DW may offer more constant temperature with less of a peak? Based on cat vs. nc theories.

IMO, cats are not going anywhere soon. It is too good of a technology and is proven to clean air if used correctly. I hope this green trend continues to grow. The question is, will consumers, dealers and manufacturers accept it?

Status
Not open for further replies.