Paint Finish on P68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corgaff

Aug 11, 2011
Rhode Island
I've had the P68 for three years, without problems. When I returned from a two week vacation I noticed problems with the finish on the stove. Paint has worn off on the top, bottom left and bottom right sides, and under the door. The problem seems to be getting worse. Nothing in the environment has changed.

The dealer tech was here this week and said he had no idea what caused it. When he cleaned the stove in May he wiped down the whole surface with WD40, but that shouldn't have caused a problem.

Has anyone seen this problem before and know the cause? The stove has to be repainted, probably totally sanded down, and spray painted. But I would like to know what caused the problem.

I emailed Harman, but haven't heard back. I wonder if this type of damage is covered by warranty.

Attachments

• IMG_2110_1.jpg
    IMG_2110_1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_2112_1.jpg
    IMG_2112_1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_2113_1.jpg
    IMG_2113_1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 395
Anychance you can post a pic of the finish, I paint cars for a living during the day and usually can tell what the problem is with it. Sounds like a defect in the paint if its faulty paint then yes a strip and repaint would be necessary. If you were to just sand and featheredge the worn paint and paint over it , it would most likely lift up underneath the new paint.

Your stove is bummin' because you didn't take it on vacation with you. Let this be a lesson to you.

FireManDan said:
Anychance you can post a pic of the finish, I paint cars for a living during the day and usually can tell what the problem is with it. Sounds like a defect in the paint if its faulty paint then yes a strip and repaint would be necessary. If you were to just sand and featheredge the worn paint and paint over it , it would most likely lift up underneath the new paint.

use stove bright satin black...that is the paint Harman uses for the black stoves. High heat paint does not have a catalyst to speed up or help harden the finish. It will not lift old paint layers over itself but is prone to chipping and wearing off. These properties are what make it high heat.

I'm noticing a little too, but so far it only on the handle of the door. I hope it it doesn;t get any worse...

Well, upon further inspection its worse on the handle than I remember and theres a spot starting on the side. And mines only a year old....

20110813074540753.jpg

20110813074625696.jpg

yes, I too have some paint rusting on my 7 year old stove, it's on the main body on hinge side. I have the paint and will be doing touch-up soon. Should I just sand down and spray that area, if so any suggestions on type of sand paper to use?

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 250sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 250sc.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 260
I don't think the WD40 did the paint any good, it's designed to soak in.

I have used WD-40, Pam Cooking oil, and even Windex on the Outside of the stove. 3 Seasons (Going on 4th this winter) and still looks like the day it did, when I brought it home.. Do you run the stove on it Max setting. Some of that looks like it could be an "Over-Fire" situation, or possibly to much Humidity. Is it in your basement? If upstairs, do you have A/C?

My buddies tell me I clean my stove to much. But I think off it as an investment. If I take care of it, it will take care of me. One buddy has a stove that only a year old and looks pretty bad. Mine is over 3 yrs old. Looks pretty good still. I painted the inside of the fire-box this year. To try and get more time out of the stove. If not takin care of. A stove will rust from the Inside out.

Good luck, I have painted the old Englander I have in my Shop and my Dads Englander. I have used both the Rutland and the High Temp BBQ Paint. Rutland costs a lot more, but only looks a little better.

Attachments

• Done-till next year.jpg
    Done-till next year.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 275
  • #1 Pellet Stove.jpg
    #1 Pellet Stove.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG00347-20110514-1147.jpg
    IMG00347-20110514-1147.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 236
  • Dads 25-Pdv (Painted).jpg
    Dads 25-Pdv (Painted).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 210
As far as sanderpaper goes of the spots you are sanding down are thick start off with 180 or 220 to sand it down. Then go over it with 320 and 400 grit on the final spot to paint. If you are painting the whole stove buy a red 3m scotch bright pad and scuff the rest of the old paint with that. If you need to primer just primer the spots you sanded through.

Status
Not open for further replies.