Painting my Dutchwest 2461 - best paint color?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidpsalt

Sep 24, 2011
Blue Ridge Mtns, Georgia
I bought this stove used and am in the process of bringing it back to its original beauty. Have have ordered 4 new 6"legs (owner couldn't find them), new door handle, gasket kit, etc. Am deciding on what Cat to get - Condor makes a ceramic and a more expensive stainless steel cat - anyone had experience with both?

Anyway, my boys helped me chip out all the old cement from the doors, etc. over the week-end. Here is a pic of my helpers:

2011-10-09_08-51-46_565.gif

So here is my question - I have read alot of threads here around Paint vs. Polish and I although my stove is all cast iron, I am leaning towards painting since I have the stove in my garage on casters and I can easily roll her out in the drive way and spray paint.

Can anyone advise what Stove Bright color is the closest to the original factory color? I am guessing it is either Black Metalic or Satin Black.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

why don't you email or call the factory that made it? I think a dutchwest is a vermont castings stove. they are in Paris KY now.

Great shot of the kids helping Dave. You'll do fine with flat black or satin black depending on the sheen you want.

Great shot of the crew in the shop David, child labor is the best. Haha. I have a 2461 in pieces in my garage too. This one is a matte black color.

Davidpsalt said:
I bought this stove used and am in the process of bringing it back to its original beauty. Have have ordered 4 new 6"legs (owner couldn't find them), new door handle, gasket kit, etc. Am deciding on what Cat to get - Condor makes a ceramic and a more expensive stainless steel cat - anyone had experience with both?

Anyway, my boys helped me chip out all the old cement from the doors, etc. over the week-end. Here is a pic of my helpers:

2011-10-09_08-51-46_565.jpg

So here is my question - I have read alot of threads here around Paint vs. Polish and I although my stove is all cast iron, I am leaning towards painting since I have the stove in my garage on casters and I can easily roll her out in the drive way and spray paint.

Can anyone advise what Stove Bright color is the closest to the original factory color? I am guessing it is either Black Metalic or Satin Black.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Hi Dave,
That's a good stove and will last a long time if you take care of it.. This is the best deal on the S/S cat for your stove:
http://store.woodstove.com/home.php?cat=265 ..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.