Painting your stove- Stove Bright

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Moderators, feel free to move this around- I have a new Blaze King- King, and am going to color match portions of it to blend in with the intended background. The actual color is probably not important, but the consistency of the paint is. I was cautioned here, to use adequate ventilation when applying this paint. After doing the first coat, checking the ingredients, and going "GAK, gack, Ga-Ga-, Hawkupasnotortwo-andspititout!" I came to the conclusion that this stuff is NOT a good thing to breathe. I'm sure this is the paint to use, for re-conditioning and accenting, but only apply it outdoors. And yes, I used it in an open garage, with a 3M respirator on my face. This stuff is potent. I can't wait for the burn in- yeah right, color me start the fires, then 100 yrds. away with the house with open windows.

Most of the stove paints have real toxic ingredients that can really cause problems. Unless you have a paint booth, there is no real safe way to spray it in an enclosed space. Be real careful that children or pets are around as they get impacted more significantly due to lower body weight. If you do spray it in the house and have a spouse, you will be reminded of your stupidity as it takes awhile for the odor to go away.

Stove Bright smells real nice compared to some of the Thurmalox paints (especially Antique Ruby) which smell like death in a can.

About 3-4 times a year I post a warning about working with Stove-Brite. It's a very good paint, but needs to be used with respect. Only apply in a very well ventilated area and always use a good quality vapor mask. This stuff can do permanent brain damage. Also, acetone fumes can cause birth defects. It should not be used around pregnant mothers.

Just ask this guy:
http://www.elfwood.com/~alien883/Acetone-fumes.2503139.html

Delta-T said:
Stove Bright smells real nice compared to some of the Thurmalox paints (especially Antique Ruby) which smell like death in a can.
toluene is sweet, xylene sux! smellwise

I just painted my King with Stove Brights honeyglo brown. I painted it outside, just before sunset. This kept the sun from beating directly on...it was cooler...less wind. By doing it outside I couldn't even smell any of the fumes at all. Then I let it sit outside the next day while the temperatures where around 100 degrees...placed it in the garage at night...using a pallet jack to move it in and out.

Now, I have to paint the pipe, adapters, legs and handles.

I'm thinking about placing a section of pipe on the stove and lighting a fire in it, while it is outside, to fully cure the paint. This way, the smoke and fumes will never be in the house.

Oh great. Now that the temps have finally gotten below 90 in the Mid Atlantic area you are gonna fire a BK King outside and warm the whole East Coast up again. :coolsmirk:

Acetone - Had it on some part of my hands every day for 20 years. Removes cyanoacrylate glue.

Toluene - Plenty of this bled out of the nitrocellulose lacquer I sprayed on guitars I was finishing. Always wore a mask in an explosion-proof spray booth, but the unhardened lacquer out-gasses fumes galore into the shop air.

Xylene - The only solvent I know that dissolves rosin but leaves the varnish untouched. Used gallons of it over 25-30 years cleaning off bow rosin from fiddles. Never wore gloves or a mask.

Methyl alcohol - Shellac solvent. Toxic. Can make you blind.

Methylene chloride - Paint stripper and varnish remover. Got burned plenty by this stuff while stripping guitars, breathed way too much as well. Nasty stuff. Lady BK burned herself severely on both forearms with this stuff while stripping her canoe interior this spring. Took weeks to heal.

Spirits of Turpentine - Component of violin varnish, additive for marine finishes. Smells great, but it's harmful to breathe.

MEK - Nasty solvent.

MEKP - Catalyst for polyester resin. Don't get a speck of this in your eyes or you will be permanently blind. It destroys the cornea.

Epoxy resin - Fumes and contact sensitivity. Don't sand it until it is fully cured. I've seen guys with disfiguring skin damage from uncured epoxy dust,

Polyurethane glue - Gorilla glue, etc. Can have a bad reaction with skin. I've seen disfiguring scarring from just a bit of this stuff left on the skin.

Been there, done that with all of the above, mostly before I knew any better, sometimes later out of bad habit. Lucky I'm still alive, although brain damage has likely occurred. I'm so sensitive to the smell of solvents now, even a whiff of toluene gives me a migraine. Don't be fooled like I was by small amounts, the damage is cumulative. Wear gloves and a respirator. If you have a beard, the respirator won't seal properly. Wear a full face mask with external air supply, or shave the beard.

Battenkiller said:
Lucky I'm still alive, although brain damage has likely occurred.

OK. Now the wood in the microwave thing makes sense. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Oh great. Now that the temps have finally gotten below 90 in the Mid Atlantic area you are gonna fire a BK King outside and warm the whole East Coast up again. :coolsmirk:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously some memory degradation as well as everything else. :p My dad brought home a pickle jar half filled with Mercury sometime in the early 1950's. My sister & I used to get a real kick out of playing with little Mercury blobs on the table when we were kids. Squish them, and they'd become a zillion little blobs...round them up and they'd become a big one again. Thanks, dad, that was a lot of fun! Rick

Beetle-Kill said:
Moderators, feel free to move this around- I have a new Blaze King- King, and am going to color match portions of it to blend in with the intended background. The actual color is probably not important, but the consistency of the paint is. I was cautioned here, to use adequate ventilation when applying this paint. After doing the first coat, checking the ingredients, and going "GAK, gack, Ga-Ga-, Hawkupasnotortwo-andspititout!" I came to the conclusion that this stuff is NOT a good thing to breathe. I'm sure this is the paint to use, for re-conditioning and accenting, but only apply it outdoors. And yes, I used it in an open garage, with a 3M respirator on my face. This stuff is potent. I can't wait for the burn in- yeah right, color me start the fires, then 100 yrds. away with the house with open windows.

When did you EVER think paint WAS a good thing to ingest???? :bug:

You just have to be around a spray can of Stove Bright sprayed inside to understand. The acetone in that stuff will make you sick for a week. I was stupid enough to repaint the old insert with it. Not sure I am over it yet. And that was in 2006. When I painted the 30-NC with it I was in the garage with the door and windows open and I would shoot and run with each application.

That chit is nasty and WILL hurt ya. And probably explains most of my posts since 2006. :red:

fossil said:
Obviously some memory degradation as well as everything else. :p My dad brought home a pickle jar half filled with Mercury sometime in the early 1950's. My sister & I used to get a real kick out of playing with little Mercury blobs on the table when we were kids. Squish them, and they'd become a zillion little blobs...round them up and they'd become a big one again. Thanks, dad, that was a lot of fun! Rick

You're lucky, because liquid mercury metal is not readily absorbed by the body. It's the mercury vapors and volatile mercury compounds that are the killers. Spill a single drop of dimethylmercury on your skin and you're a goner. It even passes through laboratory gloves.

When I painted the 30-NC with Stove bright I was outside and wore a respirator.

That stuff is stinky stinky! :shut: :eek:hh:

WidowMaker said:
This post should be made a sticky...

Great information...

+1 on the sticky

I had no idea that stove paint was so noxious...what a (bad) surprise for the uneducated!!!

Very good information.

Ed
...who would like to hold on to a few of his remaining brain cells.

Glad this is running , and should be a reminder for the folks utilizing these paints. My intentions in the future are to not be able to tell you how the paint smells, at all. This stuff is pretty nasty, BUT if you want a decent finish on your stove- deal with it and take the required precautions. Aside- The finish on the side shields is looking pretty good. :)

I dumped most of a can of that stuff indoors on my fireplace last summer. Doors open and ceiling fans running, but no respirator. Now I'm a little worried that it didn't seem particularly noxious at all.

Maybe a windy day or good draft on the flue was pulling fumes out of the house?

Beetle-Kill, it is a good product. Used properly with the recommended precautions, it is safe and provides a nice, high temp finish.

DiscoInferno said:
I dumped most of a can of that stuff indoors on my fireplace last summer. Doors open and ceiling fans running, but no respirator. Now I'm a little worried that it didn't seem particularly noxious at all.

More like, particulate matter :eek:hh:

Yeah, perhaps instead of black lung I have metallic-gray lung. On the upside, I guess I should now be able to breathe fire.

i have a 30nc and would like to paint it. any pics out there of nice paint jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.