Pallet Scrounging MWC-Style

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestcoast

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2009
NW Indiana
I'm still hard-up for pallets to continue my 12-13 stacking and the wife noticed this one out on the curb for garbage pick-up several blocks away while out walking the dog this morning. She called me right away :kiss: Quite the lady I've got.
So I strapped my $25 roof rack (complete with foam pipe insulation pads) to the roof of the car, drove over & nabbed it. With what I had already plus 5 2x3 plastic ones I recently picked-up at a project site a good 75 miles away (they did fit inside with seats down) I now am out of excuses for continueing with the stacking.
You guys with trucks have it easy I tell ya. ;-P

Attachments

• RR Pallet.jpg
    RR Pallet.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 281
midwestcoast said:
I'm still hard-up for pallets to continue my 12-13 stacking and the wife noticed this one out on the curb for garbage pick-up several blocks away while out walking the dog this morning. She called me right away :kiss: Quite the lady I've got.
So I strapped my $25 roof rack (complete with foam pipe insulation pads) to the roof of the car, drove over & nabbed it. With what I had already plus 5 2x3 plastic ones I recently picked-up at a project site a good 75 miles away (they did fit inside with seats down) I now am out of excuses for continueing with the stacking.
You guys with trucks have it easy I tell ya. ;-P

Maybe so . . . but I'm guessing any of us who are driving the trucks full time are probably not getting as many miles per gallon as you are and are feeling the pain at the pump. I know my truck stays parked most days -- just run it around town and when I need to haul stuff . . . otherwise the Honda Accord gets used.

Mileage is definitely a big plus for the Prius, and by far the main reason I bought it. My wife commutes & I travel quite a bit for work, so I wouldn't be able to keep a truck as an around town vehicle. If I could do that, I'd probably have a small pick-up as the 2'nd vehicle.
After laying-out the new stacking area last night I realized I really needed 1 more pallet to make everythng work so today I scrounged one from the project site I was on & carried it home on the roof-rack for nearly 50 freeway miles. Somehow I averaged 50.8 mpg over that distance! That was only because I was in slow traffic most the way though. Wouldn't normally expect to see more than low 40's with anything on the roof.

I found a stack of plastic heavy duty palets at a customers location. They have them from some international shipping, but mostly receipts of product. I was able to get 14 of them on a trailer and haul'em home. They are odd sized, like 52 x 46. Got them just in time because there is alot of ash, walnut and cherry coming home this weekend. I started stacking some today and kept hearing a buzzing in the pile. Can't wait to see what the source is.......

We palletize and ship bulk injection molded parts and assemblys all over the worlld from here...it kills me every time I walk through the warehouse and see rows of stacks of nice heavy oak pallets in perfectly square stacks about 30 fet high and know that I can't have a single one of them.

We use only oak pallets because the lightweight pine ones won't hold enough mass, especially when stacking.

Came home with 10 pallets yesterday! Heard about a place that had some, and drove home at lunch, grabbed the truck and drove back to work--snagged them before the yard closed. First offical task of the flatbed ford. Better get on it--it's got some way to go before it's earning its keep. Some of these are the nice heavy oak ones--and boy, are those a bear to get up on the truck bed. So having a truck for me didn't so much make it easy as make it possible. Sure am tickled to have those pallets, though. Wood seller was the one who tipped me off to that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.