pallets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

punchy

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2011
mid mo
burned some hardwood pallets tonight mixed with less than perfect oak. it did a nice job so far, cruising at 600

Cool. How did you dismantle the pallets? Got a pic of a fire going in that stove? :)

Sounds good. I have been collecting the busted up skid pieces w/o nails and using cut down pieces for kindlin. Go up like gasoline. <disclaimer: I do not use or suggest the use of gasoline near or in a woodstove. :ahhh:

Backwoods said:
Sounds good. I have been collecting the busted up skid pieces w/o nails and using cut down pieces for kindlin. Go up like gasoline. <disclaimer: I do not use or suggest the use of gasoline near or in a woodstove. :ahhh:

:lol: Glad you through that disclaimer in there. You never know.

I love pallets. They always incinerate with such enthusiasm!

Gasifier said:
Backwoods said:

:lol: Glad you through that disclaimer in there. You never know.

Yut-yut-yut

Backwoods said:

I can get as many pallets as needed for kindling from work. Comes in handy when I see a big equipment order come through. My eyes start to glaze over and think of the instant kindling BTU's and hot coals ready for the dry dry dry oak.

Do you need to worry about the nails? If they get thrown into the fire, can't you just clean them out when you clean the stove out? I would think the only worry with nails is hitting one with the saw when you're cutting up the pallets.

Kenster said:
Do you need to worry about the nails? If they get thrown into the fire, can't you just clean them out when you clean the stove out? I would think the only worry with nails is hitting one with the saw when you're cutting up the pallets.
That's all...I have been burning mostly pallets so far...I use them at the start and the end of the season. they help take the chill out in the am or evening. The rest of the time they are my firestarters.

Nice. Big pallet fan and burner here myself. Check one of my recent threads with pics on how I cut them up. For the nails just get one of those magnets at Home Cheapo that roofers use for picking up nails on the ground after a job and run it around in your ash bucket and then as a final check pour them out over the magnet. We dump our ashes in the compost pile and I'll bet very few nails make it in there and the few that do add iron right?:) and I now have cans and cans of nails - guess I should start putting them up in the free section of CL:)

Kenster said:

I burned pallets in Year 1 when I had less than optimal wood . . . I was just careful with the chainsaw and cut them up . . . no worries, no problems.

As for the nails in the ash . . . I opted to not toss the ash on the garden or driveway . . . instead I tossed the ash out in the woods in an area where I would not be driving anything with tires.

[quote author="Backwoods" date="1324104482] Go up like gasoline. <disclaimer: I do not use or suggest the use of gasoline near or in a woodstove. :ahhh:[/quote]

My father in law used to have a fire starter that was a lava-like stone that sat in a steel tray that looked like a butter dish. He would pour gasoline into the container and the stone would soak it up. (not sure if it was designed to be used with gasoline). He'd put it under the wood rack and light it, and it would start green logs! That rock would burn a long time. The gadget was reuseable - just load it with a burnable liquid.

I told him gasoline has explosive vapor, but he insisted that it was meant to use gas. He never had any problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.