Papa Bear installation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebecca Snider

Mar 31, 2012
I am possibly getting a Papa Bear woodstove from a friend and need to know if there is anything special I need to vent it thru my existing fireplace opening and chimney. I am familiar with using woodstoves but this will be an "upgrade" "retrofit" or whatever you want to call it... so I need to know what is going to work safely. I do know it will sit in front of the fireplace but what connections do I need to join up with the chimney ??

Greetings Rebecca. I moved your post to the Classic Forum so that you can get a better response for your situation.

The first thing you will need is a chimney cleaning and inspection. For the best safety, the stove should be connected to a stainless liner sized correctly for the stove. The stove will also need to have proper clearance from any combustibles and it will need a proper hearth, extending at least 16" in front of the stove door.

Here is what should be the manual for your stove https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/File:Fisher_Manual.pdf/ which should be of some help to you.

Also, I agree w/ BG's advice in getting a sweep to check things out if you are not 100% sure. Also, the more info you give us (such as pics, dimensions, etc) the better answers we can give you.

Welcome to the site! If you do get that stove hooked up, it's one heck of a big heater.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.