Papa bear stove vent automatic intake question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poppybear

Nov 17, 2012
HI, I am new to this forum but not to fisher stoves! What a great stove! I was a roofing contractor in the late 80's and had truckloads of wood shake roofing from tear offs. I installed a papa bear fisher with two control nobs in my 700sq ft house. I cut the pipe out of the back and welded it on top and installed it.

That stove would burn a load full of those shakes in 20 minutes if I didn't chock down the intake and I had to tinker with it all the time and sometimes we froze to death (not literally) because the fire didn't last all night.
So I wnet to a stove store in the local community, and the proprietor sold me a control. He told me to remove one of the factory screw controls on the door and install this gadgit he sold that controlled airflow by the heat the stove had. This thing really word great, you could control the fire and never get so hot you had to open the windows. That stove was so tight you could put the fire out by closing the control. and you could bun anything and make the fire last all night. It was like owning a mac instead of a pc.

I would fill that stove up with stacked in shakes and let them burn and they wood literally burn all night! Of course if you opened the door it sounded like you threw Gas in the stove, but I guess that is part of the fun of a tight stove.

Like a dummy I sold the house with the stove instead of keeping it and moved on to be happy somewhere else. Well now, time has past and my memory has convinced me that that stove was a masterpiece of engineering when that control was added, and as providence would have it, I found an old papa bear at the junk yard for scrap price (about $.20 a pound at the time), so I bought it and installed it in my shop anticipating the great memories of the 80's as I burned scrap stuff I ran into. Several of my boys well drill so I put in some 8" triple wall pipe through the ceiling, and 6" well casing through that. The whole project works great but to my chagrin I forgot about the necessity of the automatic controls, it only has those stupid manual control nobs, and I am spoiled for the automatic controls that never let the stove get too hot.

So I remember going to the wood stove place to get one for $20 like I did 20 years ago and the guy has no idea what I am talking about. He never heard of it, never seen one, couldn't help me.

So I do a Google search and find out nobody has it and I have never seen an article or anything that even proves it ever exists.

This control was about 6 inches around and about 1 inch thick, made of thick sheet metal pressed to make it one thing, it had a sliding nob that would tighten or loosen the bi-metal spring in the back that opened or closed a door over a small hole according to the heat it got from the door allowing air to either flow or be restricted.

That thing worked so great I was shocked that 20 years later nobody ever heard of it, can one of you on this forum help me out here?

"Everything Fisher" thread post #435

They come up on eBay from time to time. Not for $20 anymore !
Sotz Autodraft.jpg Old Timer 2.jpg

There were a couple other brands, they all work very well.

You can try the search feature and try Sotz or Condar on this forum for more results.

Condar is still in business but doesn't make that product anymore.

condar2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.