Parts for a Stihl MS290

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babzog

Oct 25, 2011
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I've got a Stihl MS290 sitting in pieces in a recycle box in my garage that I got from my BIL when he closed his cycle shop last year. Apparently, it needs a piston, the original does look pretty rough. Where is a good place to get parts that won't break the bank? I've got a dealer in the area but I'd rather use them only if I have to.

Craigslist/eBay/local classifieds for non-running 290 chainsaws. Maybe you can find one that has a broken handle or something like that as a parts saw.

If it's got a bad piston than you might want to take a close look at the cylinder walls.

The cylinder looks okay, nothing a honing wouldn't dress up, I would think... though that's me talking as a non service tech.

If you post pics here (or at Arboristsite chainsaw forum) you might get some answers as to what the P&C needs. Aluminum transfer removal? New rings? New piston? New cylinder? All of the above?

Options that I know for replacement 290 P&C:

used (I already posted on this)
OEM (expensive but quality is top)
Meteor
GOLF

There are P&C kits and just Piston kits (piston, rings, wrist pin, wrist pin clips).

But maybe you just need a cleaning with muriatic acid and new rings??? It's difficult to tell from here, lol!

If you have to do a P&C on a 290, get one from a 390 and enjoy a little extra power.

Finally cleared the camera and took some pics. The piston definitely has some scoring and it appears the cyl does too - I can definitely feel it with my finger. The wear just seems to be on one side... weird? One fellow on ebay has a piston/cyl kit for $80, but the desc. says it's aftermarket. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,921
  • cyl1.jpg
    cyl1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 458
  • cyl2.jpg
    cyl2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 456
Is the scoring on the exhaust side? If so, it was likely straight gassed. If you can catch your nail on the cylinder scratches, I'd be looking at the meteor or NWP kits at Baileys

ikessky said:
If you have to do a P&C on a 290, get one from a 390 and enjoy a little extra power.

Seriously? These parts are interchangeable? I found an ebay seller with a P&C for a 390. Just worried that the aftermarket (China) part will crap out after three branches are cut... or are they good enough to run for a few years with proper fuel/oil mix?

The 46mm is for the 290........ it will fit the 390 also.....but you will have a 290. There is no aftermarket p/c for the 039/390.

babzog said:
ikessky said:

Seriously? These parts are interchangeable? I found an ebay seller with a P&C for a 390. Just worried that the aftermarket (China) part will crap out after three branches are cut... or are they good enough to run for a few years with proper fuel/oil mix?

The 390 jug and slug would make a very nice saw.....Sleeper 290 big block. Sure be fun for gtg.

Yeah, it's scored on the exhaust side. The Baileys website doesn't list a meteor or nwp part for the 290/390, just OEM parts at $267.

HittinSteel said:
The 46mm is for the 290........ it will fit the 390 also.....but you will have a 290. There is no aftermarket p/c for the 039/390.

Correct. You have to be careful when buying a P&C for a 290/390 because most of them are the smaller 290 P&C, but can still be used on the 390.

http://www.arboristsite.com/baileys/151020-4.htm

There is some hope on the horizon....... although not anytime soon. Someone should have just manufactured the aftermarket 039/390 top end from the beginning and forgot about the 029/290....who in their right mind would rebuild with the latter if given the option?

Okay. I'll see if I can pick up a chinese knockoff for the time being. Hopefully Baileys will get their kit on the market in the next year or so. Anything else I should replace while it's in pieces?

My brother in law ran straight gas in my MS 290 and cooked the the piston & cylinder, dealer wanted $280 to repair, so I went for the EBay cheapo kit. Well so far so good, I've cut about three cords with it and it's holding up fine, I took it nice and easy to break in the new piston/cyln and ran 40 to 1 fuel mix for the first few tanks. $80 is not a bad price and you may end up with a nice Stihl saw, good luck.

I was watching one auction for the kit but it appears as though the seller (from Hong Kong) had a shill acct and boosted the price in the final hour, then relisted it when it failed to sell, the thieving b@$t@rd. Seriously... if you don't want to peddle your stuff for less that $80, then don't start an auction at $10! Sheesh! So I bought the $80 kit from another seller (in the USA) and figured I'd be done with that. Then, just as I was closing the window, I spot another seller (also USA) who's got the kit for $15 less! Argh. Can't believe I just shelled out $15 extra dollars (well, $17 when converted to Cdn) for chinese stuff! Stupid ebay searches just don't work right sometimes. Oh well.... I suppose that's why God invented whiskey. Will see the parts around Christmas and hopefully I'll have a new (to me) saw up and running before the new year!

so did you order it, and are expecting it near Christmas, or did you mean you'll be ordering it around Christmas? I think I know of a guy who might be interested in selling his used piston and cylinder so he can upgrade to the 390 size...

edit: i should read carefully. looks like you bought the $80 kit....

Yeah, bought it on ebay however the seller has not done a thing yet to ship it and is not responding to emails. Will be taking it up with paypal.

EDIT: Looks like buddy responded to paypal and issued a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.