Pass thru wall kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pollywog

Apr 12, 2011
southern, NH
I bought the direct vent passthrough wall kit with my Harmon P38. After looking at the parts I noticed the outside flange piece has a 4" hole. How do you seal the 3" pipe to the 4" hole? lots of silicone? Anyone on here install the kit? This is the one withe the fresh air intake.

pollywog said:
I bought the direct vent passthrough wall kit with my Harmon P38. After looking at the parts I noticed the outside flange piece has a 4" hole. How do you seal the 3" pipe to the 4" hole? lots of silicone? Anyone on here install the kit? This is the one withe the fresh air intake.

Is it part ending in # 677077?

3" pipe actually has an outer diameter larger than 3

Like Scott said.. 3", is gonna be Bigger than 3". Extra layer of insulation. My 3" is almost 3 3/4". Take a piece of pipe and put it through it.

Maybe you got the 4" thimble (thru the wall kit) with 3" pipe? Then your hole would be closer to 5"??? Measure and check your pipe 1st. Pipe should be almost 4" (Even though its 3" pipe) then your hole in the thimble, is a little bigger than that (Yes, use High-Temp Silicone to seal the pipe and thimble).

What brand pipe did you buy?? I see that Simpson Dura-vent has the Thimble combined with the OAK (Outside Air Kit). Looks like a nice system. Only 1 Hole in your wall for 2 Vents (Intake & Exhaust).

yes the part # for the kit I got ends with 677077. From Hearth & Home technologies. The Pipe is from Metal-Fab, and is 3-1/2" in diameter. So that leaves a 1/4" gap all around to caulk. I thought maybe some kind of rubber seal boot would be nice. The instructions say you don't have to seal the pipe but you can if you like. im thinking if you dont seal it when water gets on the pipe it could run across the pipe going thru the wall and drip off in the pass thru, putting water in the wall.

Attachments

• 101_2869 (Large).jpg
    101_2869 (Large).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 495
That's a lot different than mine. But that's a big hole. I had maybe 1/16-1/8th gap.
Hope smwilliamson (Scott) will have a solution. He knows much more about that particular part. I would want it sealed just because of the chance that CO could be sucked into your home through that gap.

Good Luck and that is a nice thimble head. I like the 2-in-1 kits.

Metal fab does seem to have a smaller diameter than many of the other brands available, such as Simpson.......maybe a different brand of pipe is better here? be sure, whatever you do, DO NOT fill the cavity in the thimble with anything....it will build heat. Harman, as far as I know, does NOT make a 4" version of this part at the present time.

That is a BIG gap to have to fill, IMO.

Maybe make a plate to slide over it that has a hole that's smaller in ID? It could be pop-riveted to the inside of the adapter plate, and then silicone sealed around pipe, etc. I'd make the plate out of thin gauge galvanized.

If you're not handy with sheet metal, maybe a local place could fab one for you?

silly cone would be the easiest way to go to fill that gap, a bit on the unattractive side, but functional.

pollywog said:
yes the part # for the kit I got ends with 677077. From Hearth & Home technologies. The Pipe is from Metal-Fab, and is 3-1/2" in diameter. So that leaves a 1/4" gap all around to caulk. I thought maybe some kind of rubber seal boot would be nice. The instructions say you don't have to seal the pipe but you can if you like. im thinking if you dont seal it when water gets on the pipe it could run across the pipe going thru the wall and drip off in the pass thru, putting water in the wall.

The pass through kit is designed to be used with Simpson Duravent Pellet Pro, which is 3 5/8"

The last one I installed was a little loose too, so I just placed a little folded wire GIZMO I made on the bottom under the pipe to even the space around the pipe and then squirted the thing full of the HI TEMP silicone.

Just let it set up well and your good to go. I did this on both sides to stabilize the pipe and to seal it.

You definately dont want moisture getting into the wall.

The thimble I used had a round pipe fastened the the plates (inner and outer) with one that slides inside the other to shield the inner wall and insulation from the vent pipe itself.

Under high operating settings, even the pellet vent can get hot on the outside jacket.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.