Past Saturday's Work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonefly

Oct 2, 2010
North Central PA
Finished up on one piece of property this weekend. About 20 rounds of 2 year old birch (not really in picture), one birch cut this year and one blow down we cut up saturday that I did not identify. Just unloaded them there to get them off the truck and trailer. Decided to use the corn crib as this year's wood shed. There is still more seasoned wood to go in so I think we should be good for these season. We're still at least good 4 weeks off until we can start burning. House remodel and the room the wood stove goes in is the active remodel stage. Liner is to be installed this week then we can finish the drywall, mud, prime, paint, sand and refinish wood floor, finish electrical, install hearth pad, wood stove and trim (that's all).

Attachments

• Saturday 1.jpg
    Saturday 1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 536
  • Saturday 2.jpg
    Saturday 2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 540
  • corn crib wood shed 1.jpg
    corn crib wood shed 1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 563
  • corn crib wood shed 2.jpg
    corn crib wood shed 2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 584
Nice haul, with great eye for same lengths

great use of the old corncrib

Lotsa good circulation

But Hey...how 'bout them poor rats...gonna see their old meal ticket cafeteria back in use... but no corn after they chew their way in

I like the corn crib idea,often thought about building a similar building just for all the odd ball stuff.

I like that storage location, although it must be a bit of a pain to do the actual stocking of it. Nice location for retrieving it, however.

I'm VERY surprised (having recently tried to stack "rounds" left over from a recent tree trimming that look a lot like what you have there), that those stacks of rounds haven't rolled apart on you. Keep the kiddies away from those. You wouldn't want them to come rolling down on a two year old!

-Soupy1957

The use of the corn crib was my wifes idea, pretty good I thought.

soupy - Stocking wouldn't be so bad if we had not started in the middle. I have no idea why we did that. We have both hit our shoulders on a couple of splits sticking out a little further than the rest while we were taking pieces to the back end. When we start burning we'll be removing from the front to back. As far as the rounds rolling, yep, one stack got away from me. Told the kids to stay off and explained why. More than likely if they move it will be because of the chickens or cats. Hope to get them split and off the ground this week.

Very nice set-up!

Stonefly, that is excellent use of an old corn crib. I've said for years they make one of the very best wood storage areas. So please also congratulate your wife on her great idea.

<blushing>...Mrs. Stonefly here...thanks, Dennis. It's a little far from the house for daily use but it will be a good storage/seasoning space, and we can bring a few days' worth of wood to the porch when we need it. Hubby seems surprised that I care to have input on this stuff. I figure I'd better get interested now if I want to have any say in the actual burning. We have drastically different internal thermostats so I foresee some conflict on the horizon. :kiss:

That's good Mrs. Stonefly. We do somewhat the same; bringing wood to the porch. It is sad though that more of the old corn cribs aren't being used; even sadder that most were just torn down.

You definitely should get interested in the wood burning. My wife has for many years. She used to help me a lot in the woods but unfortunately time and wear has caused the physical condition to slip a bit so now I work by myself most of the time. I think she helped me just a few hours last winter but that was a good time. I enjoyed it as I enjoy having her there working with me. It just seems right.

On the thermostats, we too differ a lot. She is almost always roasting while I am the opposite, especially from the knees down. I was once cripple from the waist down due to polio and they told me that is why I get so darned cold in the feet and legs. So, I keep it on the warm side in our house. It roasts all the visitors too. lol It is funny watching people come into the house. Some of them try to open windows or doors because they are so hot. Not me! I can see no reason to be uncomfortably cold in my own home. The wife can just undress.

btw, my wife does bring in wood at night for the overnight fire and for the morning load. She also empties all the ashes and she checks the chimney on a regular basis. And, as stated before, she used to help me a lot in the woods. However, I will not let her split nor stack wood. I don't trust her coordination so the hydraulic splitter is mine. I don't like the way she stacks wood so just tell her that I'll do it all, thank you.

It's nice to have an ol' corn crib lying around to put wood in! I was wondering if the weight of the wood was more than a crib full of corn. The reason being that you may have to beef up the support of the floor.

I like to have my wife helping when I'm in the woods too. She brings wood up onto our porch from the pile and keeps the stove going during the day while I'm at work. Now if I could just adjust her internal alarm to get up and feed our small firebox throughout the night I'd be on easy street!

Dennis, how does all your bike riding affect your legs with the shape they are in now?

Mrs., boy can I relate to the internal therm. thing. My wife walks around the house in shorts and a t-shirt, while I wear long johns, and a thermal hoody. She tells me the heat just rolls off me, but that seems wrong. If it were true, you'd think I'd be the one wearing the shorts.
She's comfy when the house is mid 60's, and I prefer it around 70-72. Que, sera, sera(sp?)

Uper said:
It's nice to have an ol' corn crib lying around to put wood in! I was wondering if the weight of the wood was more than a crib full of corn. The reason being that you may have to beef up the support of the floor.

I like to have my wife helping when I'm in the woods too. She brings wood up onto our porch from the pile and keeps the stove going during the day while I'm at work. Now if I could just adjust her internal alarm to get up and feed our small firebox throughout the night I'd be on easy street!

Dennis, how does all your bike riding affect your legs with the shape they are in now?

Uper, most of the time I do okay. I'm not strong for sure, nor fast, but I get the exercise and fun. Most of the time I ride from 3,000-5,000 miles per year but every now and then, like this year, the weakies hits me pretty hard. I've hardly rode at all since mid-August. Maybe I over did things earlier in the summer. In June and early July of this year I drove around 13,000 miles, part of that being for Race Across AMerica. For sure the legs did not get the benefits of riding the bike but I did try to do a fair amount of walking whenever possible. But after the trip, my whole body seemed to give out which leads me to believe I simply overdid it and just got too tired. We did take another trip in September but that one didn't seem to bother too much. I have not rode at all since mid September but will probably get the trainer out soon to try to get back into things.

It seems every so often though I just go through the weak muscle thing. I have to live with it so just try to make the best of it. Sometimes I just can't do much but I'll do whatever I can when I can. All else has to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.