PB-105 Burnpot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wil lanfear

Feeling the Heat
May 10, 2008
vermont
Harman sent another stainless burnpot to my dealer for me to test. This one is a tad different than the last one, it has larger holes drilled in the burn surface. I will post updates to how it performs.

I don't know, Wil, what does this make, your 10th?
My top baffle plate is buckling in the middle, should not, the
way it is constructed....
Wish I had my own gas well!!

Will they send me a stove to try?

wil said:
Harman sent another stainless burnpot to my dealer for me to test. This one is a tad different than the last one, it has larger holes drilled in the burn surface. I will post updates to how it performs.

Appreciate the update wil. Thanks.

The stainless steel burn pot they sent to me is starting to bump up!!

Bill B said:
The stainless steel burn pot they sent to me is starting to bump up!!
A bubble formed on the first stainless burnpot that I had prior to cracking between three holes. The stainless burnpot that is now installed has larger holes, time will tell.

Have you noticed more build up of ash in the chamber due to larger holes?

How many tons of pellets you guys going through until the burnpot starts to "bump"?

Bill B said:
Have you noticed more build up of ash in the chamber due to larger holes?
I've had this burnpot in for around 4 days, haven't checked it yet.

I've had burnpots start to form a bubble after a couple of weeks of burning, I even had one that a small bubble formed after 3 days of burning, others 3 months, no set amount of time or quanity of pellets burned.

Wil,

For your sanity, I sure hope this is the ticket for you. I don't know about you, but I would have pulled out my hair by now!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

Wil,

Do you put a new flame guide and insulator on while you are swapping out burnpots? If not how long have they been lasting before wearing out and needing to be replaced?

Pellet_Dog said:
Wil,

Do you put a new flame guide and insulator on while you are swapping out burnpots? If not how long have they been lasting before wearing out and needing to be replaced?
No, I'm on my fourth year burning with the original insulator and flame guide. The insulator is getting a little ragged, spoke to my dealer about it and he said don't worry about it, it's the norm. My flame guide is made of cast iron, unless it cracks, I see no reason to ever replace it.

Pel_Don said:
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your PB 105 and would you had it to do over again, would you?
I paid $4700.00 for my boiler. The reason I would do it again even though I've had issues with burnpot failers, my dealer and Harman have been making efforts, no costs to me, to try to resolve the burnpot bubble issue. I'm in hopes that the issue will soon be resolved because I really like the boiler.

I paid $3500 for mine, second hand. and yes I would do it again. Harman has been good so far with replacement parts.

Even though I have also had the same burnpot issue as others (2.5 years old with 3 burnpots replaced) I would also buy another PB-105. Yes, my Harman dealer has been very easy to work with but besides that the thing is a piece of cake to clean. I can thoroughly clean it, including the burnpot, tubes, and draft motor/fan in less than an hour. Interestingly, I installed the current burnpot last spring and it is just now starting to show a very slight bubble. Like Wil mentioned, I had one that started to bubble after a month or so. It is almost like they have been experimenting with different burnpot metals all along. Anyway, I am very happy with the boiler.

I do not own a 105 so take my comments with a grain of salt.

From what I understand, cold air is coming through the burnpot to the fire within it, From an engineering point of view, it sounds like the massive temperature difference between the top and the bottom is causing enormous stresses in the steel and subsequent warping. The solution may be in layering with very small air gaps between t he layers in order to mitigate the temperature differences.. Has Harmon tried that?

IF any dealer is reading this, ask them. If it works, then I want a free boiler.....and a Mercedes....and a Porsche......

Status
Not open for further replies.