PE Summit....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
So, I went stove shopping today for the new house. Sooo hard not to just pull the trigger, even though i'm not ready for the stove yet.

Went to the local stove shop, over in the corner the owner had was burning in a Pacific Energy "Summit" This stove is a MONSTER. He quoted me at about 1,800 for the big boy, the paperwork says it will heat up to 3000 square feet.

Anyone have one of these? Do ya like it?

Simple answer is lots have them here and love them. I have a T6 which has the same fire box. They are great heaters and if its the right stove for your place [size wise]you could not go wrong.

If you can stand cults :p , you'll find a pretty strong fan club for the Summit and other PE products. They make great stoves.

I got a Summit and if you got a big enough house then you could not go wrong with it.
If you want a stove with a door that opens from the wrong side :) there are a lot of people here burning Englanders as well and they love their stoves too.

love my summit if i was you i would get one

Ok time to irk Brother Bart. The Summit is a snobbier contemporary to his 30.

This is my second year with a Summit insert. They produce tons of heat, burn long, and are very easy to use. You don't see very many newbies on here asking questions after they get one.

They have a few little quirks but no biggies. The door some times needs adjusted as soon as you buy it. The Secondary baffel gasket fails every time you clean the stove. They're cheap throw aways. Still no biggie. I'm running mine without a gasket without problems and one guy in here is using a rope gasket, that will last for years, without any problems either. They are probably one of the more trouble free stoves on the market.

Bart says the 30 is the most BTU for the buck. He's right, but the Summit does the same thing and looks better doing it, and it's still not that expensive of a stove.

How big is your house.

The Summit is a "monster"? Gee, I still feel the firebox is a little small. I remember the Timberline I had 30 years ago and the Fisher my parents had. Probably twice the firebox size. My biggest problem now is that my left over firewood is too long.

$1800 sounds like a good price. That's about what we paid last March. I figured the prices would be higher by now.

From what I can see so far, the Summit is a great stove. I'll have a more informed opinion after winter gets here.

Ken

D/F, how many square feet are you trying to heat? The Summit's middle sibling is a very respectable stove too.

Well, the house is 2100 square feet total. So i'm guessing about 1000 downstairs, and another thousand upstairs....the unfinshed basement is not counted. The stove will sit in the living room, which ties right to the kitchen / dining room. I'm sure some heat will go up the narrow stairwell "i hope"

I'm heating, well not too much in this mild weather, 2000 sq ft, open floor plan, with the iron clad version of the Summit. It works great. However, unless it's in the 40's or less, the heat pump is heating the house. If you are much further south, like Eugene, and not heating 24/7 then maybe a 2 cu ft stove will suffice?

I heard the summit is crap and all these folks just want you to buy another one so you can share in their collective misery.

Matt and running for the door before the cult comes after me! :lol:

(The summit appears to be a great stove.)

BeGreen said:
I'm heating, well not too much in this mild weather, 2000 sq ft, open floor plan, with the iron clad version of the Summit. It works great. However, unless it's in the 40's or less, the heat pump is heating the house. If you are much further south, like Eugene, and not heating 24/7 then maybe a 2 cu ft stove will suffice?

i was kicking that around in my head as well, The Summit seems to be quite the heater, and i'm a little concerned about getting "too much stove" I live just about 30 mins north west of portland. It's pretty mild here....

BeGreen said:

I also have an electric heat pump in my house and am looking at buying the Summit. It seems to me that the heat pump is the better choice economically-speaking than using the insert for heating the house. At least until the backup heat is needed and then the insert would be better. I base this on roughly figuring how much wood I would go through for heating versus what I pay for electricity to run the heat pump. Once I have to use the baseboard heat which uses a lot of electricity the insert should be better.

Shawn

karl said:
Ok time to irk Brother Bart. The Summit is a snobbier contemporary to his 30.

No irk here. PE makes good wood stoves. A lot of people make good wood stoves. The Summit is an especially nice little stove. :lol:

Yep, I like my Summit too.It'll easily hold a fire overnight.
The Super 27 should be big enough for you, seeing as you don't get winter where you live.;-)
The Summit might cook you out of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.