Pellet Advice ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justinc25

Jan 1, 2011
Weare, NH
Hey Guys,

I was just in Lowe's in Hooksett, NH on friday, and they had 4 bags of pellets left.
They were the Nature's Own, which I've heard some bad things about. So I passed.
I've been running the Maine's Choice from there with very good results, but they are getting harder and harder to find.
Anyway it's monday night, and I have 8 bags left till friday, and wanted to get some opinions on what to buy next.

Lowe's & Home Depot both got in a shipment of Fireside Ultra's, (Though still no Stove Chow up here).
Manchester Lowe's said they may be getting in some Greene Team, and the Nature's Own. (still $3.74/bag)
Hooksett TSC has Instant Heat for $4.65/Bag. My local hardware store has Maine Woods, but they're $6.00 a bag.
And The other hardware store has Lignetics, and Corinith for the highway robery price of $7.00/Bag !!

Money is tight right now, so we are waiting for our taxes to buy a couple ton next month, but I'm limited to buying 17-20 bags every 2 weeks for now.
I can still get the Maine's choice, though only by the ton from Woodpellets.com in Goffstown.

Any thoughts on the pellets I listed, or alternative locations to pick up pellets in the Manchester, Concord area for cheap $$ ??

Thanks,
Justin

Natures own is pretty much the same pellet as Stove Chow. There both bagged by Premier pellet. Give them a try. No complaints with the stove chow from me. Greene Teams are a bit better IMHO. Maine Choice did OK for me as well. The deals are at the box stores right now. The quality of the Maine Choice is pretty close to the stove chows. Stove chow just has a bit more heat IMO.

My choice of the brands from the box stores would be
1 Greene Team.

2 Stove Chow/Natures Own

3.Maine Choice

4 Pres to Logs(if you can find them)

5 Instant heat

justinc25 said:
Hey Guys,

I was just in Lowe's in Hooksett, NH on friday, and they had 4 bags of pellets left.
They were the Nature's Own, which I've heard some bad things about. So I passed.
I've been running the Maine's Choice from there with very good results, but they are getting harder and harder to find.
Anyway it's monday night, and I have 8 bags left till friday, and wanted to get some opinions on what to buy next.

Lowe's & Home Depot both got in a shipment of Fireside Ultra's, (Though still no Stove Chow up here).
Manchester Lowe's said they may be getting in some Greene Team, and the Nature's Own. (still $3.74/bag)
Hooksett TSC has Instant Heat for $4.65/Bag. My local hardware store has Maine Woods, but they're $6.00 a bag.
And The other hardware store has Lignetics, and Corinith for the highway robery price of $7.00/Bag !!

Money is tight right now, so we are waiting for our taxes to buy a couple ton next month, but I'm limited to buying 17-20 bags every 2 weeks for now.
I can still get the Maine's choice, though only by the ton from Woodpellets.com in Goffstown.

Any thoughts on the pellets I listed, or alternative locations to pick up pellets in the Manchester, Concord area for cheap $$ ??

Thanks,
Justin

I don't think you are going to find anything for less $ than what you will get at Home Depot/Lowes right now. Given your circumstances, I would take what I could get at $3.74 a bag. Greene Team is the way to go if you can get your hands on them.

Thanks for the quick follow up's, any thoughts on the Fireside Ultra's ? I've heard that they too are a Premier Pellet product.

justinc25 said:
Thanks for the quick follow up's, any thoughts on the Fireside Ultra's ? I've heard that they too are a Premier Pellet product.

They will do in a pinch, but not nearly as good as the green teams. With prices at the box stores as cheap as they are, the supply is going to start drying up quick as all of us "piggies" stock up. When they sell out, they will not be re-stocking this time of year.

justinc25 said:

Stay away from the fireside. I tried some and had bad luck with them, very dirty and not much heat.

Do not see to much about the Somersets that I get at the Lowe's in Kingston NY. The have been great and the price was the same as the other brands 187 a ton. then take off the 10% make it much better then fuel oil. Very Low fines and very little ash.

oliveone said:
Do not see to much about the Somersets that I get at the Lowe's in Kingston NY. The have been great and the price was the same as the other brands 187 a ton. then take off the 10% make it much better then fuel oil. Very Low fines and very little ash.
I'd love to try the Somersets, but nobody carries them near me.

I haven't tried my lignetics yet but if you like them the TSC in Merrimack has them for $4.60 or somewhere right around there per bag. I was just up there two days ago. They also had the instant heat and I believe Maine Choice (it was something from Maine with a bear on it but not 100% sure which brand) for the same price. Not too many bags of this left but maybe more out back?

Fireside Ultras are lousy. Not too hot, plenty of ash, and quick to blacken up your glass.

Ok, so I tried a bag of Fireside Ultra's
Yesterday, and they were the hottest pellets I've
burned to date. The bag said made in Canada.
And the pellets were very dark in color.
They had very little ash, and my glass stayed fairly
clean. I think these may have been rebagged
Energex. So I bought a bag of Energex to try tonight
and they appear to be the same pellet.
Same color, same heat etc.

What do you guys think of the Energex ?

So far I'm very impressed with both.

So I went to Lowes this morning and picked up 12 bags of Greene Team, 10 bags of Fireside Ultra and a bag of Maine's Choice that was open for half off.
I'll keep you posted on how they burn. This week will be a good test of the Greene Team, as it's going to be in the single digits during the day and in the negative at night.

Which lowes was it you got the green teams at? I wanted to try them out since I will be needing pellets shortly.....

I am very happy with firesides ... I have oakies too .. I put okies in at night and firesides during the day .. I really dont see too much difference ... especially for the price

meg32682 said:
Which lowes was it you got the green teams at? I wanted to try them out since I will be needing pellets shortly.....
they had them at the Concord Lowe's.
Also most Home Depot's have Energex.
There were limited quantities of Greene Team though.
They had 4 ton, but 3 of them had sold stickers on them.
I'd call ahead before you make the trip.

I just bought 2 tons of Greene team from lowes in concord, surrposed to pick them up tomorrow but they called me and told me they are shot and getting a shipment in thursday night and to come friday...so ill have it then

DoWnAqT said:
I just bought 2 tons of Greene team from lowes in concord, surrposed to pick them up tomorrow but they called me and told me they are shot and getting a shipment in thursday night and to come friday...so ill have it then
is this Brad ?

Yeah

cartier.....ahhh should have known

I recognized the name. What kind of stove do u have?

tomorrow I'm ordering the Harman P68....how did the greene team work for you?

DoWnAqT said:
tomorrow I'm ordering the Harman P68....how did the greene team work for you?
They burn hot, but I don't see much of a diference in heat between the Greene Team, and the Fireside Ultra, but the Greene Team has less ash. Though a bag doesn't seem to last as long. Congrats on the stove, the P68 is a nice unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.