Pellet bag date codes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
So I'm down in the wood shop yesterday doing some wood turning. I share the space with 2 tons of pellets ready to burn for the season. I had purchased 1 ton of Green Supreme pellets about a month ago from Ash A Way stove shop in Dartmouth, Ma. At the time they were selling pellets as fast as they got them in. The second ton of Energex's I picked up from my local Aubuchon Hardware store last Saturday. They are also selling pellets as fast as the get them in.

I happen to notice the date code on the Energex pellets of 10-17 07. So I check ed the Green Supreme's. They were date coded 5-24-07.

So why am I getting year old or better pellets if the mills are moving stock out as fast as they are making it? Or is it that they are digging deep into the back of the warehouses and moving out the old stock first?

Either way, The Green Supreme's are burning great (I burned them last year as well). I am only using the stove to knock the chill down in the mornings at this point. The next bag I burn will be the energex's.

---Nailer---

The Green Supreme pellets, packaged by New England Wood Pellet in Palmer, MA have imprinted bag codes that allow us to know when the bags were filled. The ink date on the bag (found along the top seal) refers to the actul bag film manufacture date. New England's code is perforated and will not show the specific date.

Thank you,

Alyson

Customer Service
New England Wood Pellet, LLC

NEWP-Alyson said:
The Green Supreme pellets, packaged by New England Wood Pellet in Palmer, MA have imprinted bag codes that allow us to know when the bags were filled. The ink date on the bag (found along the top seal) refers to the actul bag film manufacture date. New England's code is perforated and will not show the specific date.

Thank you,

Alyson

Customer Service
New England Wood Pellet, LLC

Hey Alison,
When do you guys expect to be back up to full capacity, restocking your notmal resellers? There are several dealers in my area who aren't currently stocking, who normally are.

Thanks Alyson,

I wondered about the dating on the top of the bags. Now I know.

Another mystery solved.

BTW: Appreciate having MFG reps/insiders on this site. Sure cuts the amount of speculation we all generate :)

---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.