Pellet burn temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomandy

Nov 26, 2011
Quiet Corner CT.
I am a new pellet stove user (Quadrafire Santa Fe Insert) and I read alot about pellet burn temp. How do you determine how hot the burn is? I don't believe my stove has that capability. Is there a remote temp gauge with a probe that is used? I would like to do this to determine which pellet would work best for me. Thanks!

I measure convection air temps with a K-type thermocouple. Can be had cheap on Amazon for $25-$175. I got my Cole Parmer for $30.

I only do this for my own testing. To rate one pellet to another. Not a must have. But I try to buy pellets when they are cheaper and knowing what a good pellet is, ensures that when they go on sale, that I snag them up. Somersets, Pro Pellets, and Lig Prest-Logs are the 3 hottest around me (not many brands).

You can use a meat thermometer, a digital cooking probe, or search k-type thermocouple on Amazon. They can be had for cheap. Just make surr whatever you ise. That it doesnt touch steel. You want to measure the air temp. Not the steel temp.

You can see it on the right side (top of stove) above the glass

Attachments

• Quad.jpg
    Quad.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 342
Those are pretty decorations above your stove!

tjnamtiw said:
Those are pretty decorations above your stove!

Its a memorial for my Mother in Law. The pic up there is of my Wife, Mother in Law, and her 2 Sisters. She liked Star patterns. So there os a Crazy corner star below the shelf. Then a Star on the shelf by the Pic. And then a Candle that we only Light during the holidays. That candles represents her with us. We are pretty young and my Wife has lost both her parents. Father of Heart attack 9 yrs ago and Mother of Cancer last year. Shame because they were so young also. (Father was 44 when he died and Mom was 51). That gives you an insight to my age (My Wife is several yrs younger than me though).

Just made that memorial this year and we made a very large memorial garden outside in the shape of a heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.