Pellet Delivery Blues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyranid

Nov 9, 2010
Annapolis, MD
I'm late in the game and still haven't made my purchase for the season. I'm located in central MD and my options are pretty slim around here, if I want pellets delivered. I need three tons.

There is a guy out in Frederick that sells Hamers at $250. I used this last year and I love the Hamers. He wanted $80 for delivery last year, and I haven't gotten a delivery quote this year.
The Ace Hardware sells Hamers at $260 and wants $50 per ton for delivery.

Woodfloorsplus has Power Pellets at $189/ton, but I tried some of these and they produce almost twice as much ash in my stove (my stove seems to not like long pellets, I get too much spill when they hit the pan and end up with lots of unburned material). They also have Greenways at $245/ton and $35/ton for delivery. These aren't bad, but for the price, I'd rather have Hamers.

Woodpellets.com will happily deliver, Cleanfires ($250/ton) or Cleanfire Pacific ($270/ton) but charge only $54 for delivery total. I've never burned either. I heard the Cleanfire hardwood has alot of gunk build up. I've never tried a Pacific softwood in my stove. I'd like to try before I buy, but I can't get any around here.

So, in the end, it sounds like the Hamer's delievered from Fredrick or the Cleanfire Pacifics from Woodpellets.com, if I factor in delivery. Any input?

I'm actually debating biting the bullet and getting a trailer hitch for my Ford Escape, renting a trailer for $35 and hauling it mayself. Heck for another $35, I can rent a pallet jack and actually get it in my garage. Of course
the outlay for the hitch would be around $300 and I'm never managed a trailer with anything quite that heavy on it before. But with that, I'd have the option of getting a ton of Hamers and maybe a ton or two of cheaper pellets from Home Depot and save a bit of cash. I might be able to drive and get a better price on the Hamers....

I'm probably overthinking this, so please excuse me if I rambled a bit too much. :)

If you are going to haul anything that heavy you will need electric brakes for the trl.. I only paid 15.00 a ton for delivery from local lumber yarr and they came with a boom truck and put them rite where I wanted them.....

If it was me, I'd do the trailer hitch thing... trailer hitches are good for more than just hauling pellets :)

FYI, most vehicles already have the holes for a hitch. Consider finding out if the Escape does as well (hell, my '10 Mazda 3 has them and the owners manual tells you not to install a hitch.. wtf?).

You can buy a Reese hitch for $140 online (could probably find it local for around that price too) and install it yourself. Then it's a $40 light adapter and you're good to go.

Give yourself lots of extra room to stop and you'll be fine with a ton at a time.

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling I needed more research on that option. :)

I've hauled boats on a ball hitch before, but nothing big or heavy.

No doubt, the Hamers are the best of the bunch you mentioned.

But I have burned the Greenways and was very happy with them. I have also heard good things about the CleanFire Pacific too (softwood pellets, I believe).

In the end, it all comes down to how much $$ you want to spend per ton, total. The cost of the trailer, parts to tow with, and your own labor should be factored into your decision.

My Escape does have the holes, but a Class III hitch for it starts around $200.

PS, law will vary by state to state at which weight you require electric brakes. Most places are 3000 or 4000 lbs. Check local laws.

Tyranid said:
My Escape does have the holes, but a Class III hitch for it starts around $200.

Class II is good up to 3500lbs gross.

Here, $134: http://www.hitchesonline.com/

EDIT: just noticed they have the classIII for $145 also

My 2 cents, it's almost Dec 1st and you can't "dilly dally" much longer. I would pay the $$50 to $80 for the 3 tons and get them delivered. All that work is eliminated and it's done in one day. End of story!

True what Brian says, that hitches are handy; but you're a long ways away from buying it, getting it installed, brakes and a trailer. By your own admission, you're a procrastinator. This year have them delivered, over the next 6 months have a hitch put on and you will be all set for next year. Buy your pellets early next year.

Tom C.

silverfox103 said:
By your own admission, you're a procrastinator. This year have them delivered, over the next 6 months have a hitch put on and you will be all set for next year. Buy your pellets early next year.

I didn't see him admit that... but as a fellow procrastinator (actually I haven't decided if it's procrastination or laziness... I'll figure it out later... :lol:), this man makes a valid point.

Check your local Southern States Co-op. I buy mine from them and I'm sure the is one in Frederick. The Statesman brand is repackaged Hamers, from what I'm told

Thats true, I haven't decided to procrastinate yet... :)

That is probably the best plan, go with delivery and plan for next year.

Our local Lowe's will deliver for free, as will a local lumber yard, who stocks wood pellets.

Are you sure you've identified all your local sources of wood pellets?

Dave

DneprDave said:
Our local Lowe's will deliver for free....

Must be a west coast thing....all the Lowe's & Home Depot's here charge a flat rate for ANY delivery, regardless of distance. In my area, it's $65

If you're thinking about towing a trailer with a ton of pellets on it, behind a Ford Escape, you REALLY want to check your manual. Oh, yeah, keep in mind that a pallet jack is NOT a forklift, it won't rise up and pick that pallet off your trailer.

Most bumper ball mounts have a 300 to 500 pound limit. They where not designed to pull much more than a small boat trailer, you will bend or brake the bumper if you pull more thats from experience haha. It is usually stated in the manual what the max bumper weight and hitch weights are.

Good luck

hossthehermit said:
If you're thinking about towing a trailer with a ton of pellets on it, behind a Ford Escape, you REALLY want to check your manual. Oh, yeah, keep in mind that a pallet jack is NOT a forklift, it won't rise up and pick that pallet off your trailer.

i tow a small utility trailer behind my jeep wrangler with a ton of pellets

never had an issue..dont depend on the brakes,,,downshift when stopping and a little common
sense and you'll be fine

Well, I am hesitant about the trailer, as you can tell. I very much don't want to break my car!

That said, I've been told if you put the ton pallet directly over the trailer wheels, the hitch can take the weight. There are issues however with the balance and its recommend you use a weight distribution system, which is another $200 or so. It sounds like it will work without it, however there is probably risk involved (and may not be legal depending on the state). The braking issue was something I had not considered.

I will probably go with delivery and look more into a hitch and talk to someone more knowledgeable than myself.

Hamers are probably the safest bet, but I am curious how the Pacifics compare.

I do appreciate all the input, especially from those concerned about my car... :)

my buddy at work tows a ton of pellets in his 1 ton trailer. he just takes 10 bags off put them in his suv. he never had a problem what so ever..

I tow a 6x12 landscape trailer and a ton of pellets with a Mazda MPV van. It tows it pretty well.

That said, I've often thought I'd be better off having 3 tons delivered for $65 rather than stress the tranny with three trips in the van.

Dougsey said:
That said, I've often thought I'd be better off having 3 tons delivered for $65 rather than stress the tranny with three trips in the van.

Yep, if you burn the tranny out, that extra 43 cents/bag you could have paid for delivery would seem very cheap.

How about rent a U hual truck for and afternoon, it's around $45-50. Haul your couple tons and your all done.

NATE379 said:
How about rent a U hual truck for and afternoon, it's around $45-50. Haul your couple tons and your all done.

Best idea IMHO... Tongue weight is what the bumper is rated for... Personally wouldn't tow anything behind the wifes Jeep Liberty, but it is rated to tow that much.

Eatonpcat said:
Tongue weight is what the bumper is rated for...

OP was going to install a proper Reese (or similar) hitch.

No way should anyone attempt towing such a thing with a bumper mounted hitch.

NATE379 said:

X2... Home depot rents trucks too. I think it is a 3/4 ton too. If you don't have far to go. I'd haul 2 tons at a time. Especially if it is a long bed.

Pay a neighborhood kid to help you unload it. :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.