Pellet feeding shortcomings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LRRifleman

Jan 25, 2011
southern New Jersey
Hello!

My pellet stove is having problems "feeding" the pellets I currently have ("Nation's Choice").
As the auger is drawing in the pellets, the pellets are not "falling in" to fill the void as the auger is pulling in the pellets.
Is this a function of pellets with a high moisture content, or what?
I did not have this dilemma last year when I was using Lignetics.

Thanks!

The pellets are running about an inch in length, sometimes less. On one side of the current ravine in the hopper, there is a vertical wall almost 6" tall, and the pellets and powder from disintegrated pellets, are just there, not falling in on the ravine. there is about a 3-4" circular gap at the auger feed, and walls of pellets and disintegrated pellet.

I am anxious to have TSC replace my pellets, just curious of what they will have as replacement pellets!

Hi "Smokey",

Yes, this stove is relatively new ... it was purchased and installed last December.
Last season, with the almost 2 tons I burned, the pellets fell in on any "hole" formed by the auger pull, unlike what I am seeing now.
When I awoke this morning to a stove that was "burned out", I had a 3/4 full hopper, with almost a a 4" circular hole thru the pellets, and none of the pellets fell in on themselves, to fill the void.

Other than the fact you are burning what most of us consider to be marginal pellets, that isn't the only thing that comes into play when pellets fail to fall in a hopper.

If the stove is new it is possible that the hopper itself is part of the problem. The surface isn't always burnished enough to provide a slippery slope and some hopper designs have ridges where they interfere with pellets falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.