pellet furnace 4" chimney, what brands are worth looking at?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steelman

Feb 7, 2012
east central ohio
i have looked at the most popular brands. dura-loc, lowes, meanards, TSC etc.....
so witch one is in the middle? furnace calls for class a. double wall, i like the looks of stainless steel. and im thinking of running it from the basement through first floor bath room, through attic through roof.
dont like the " out the wall, up the side of the house" look.

dont need the best dont want the worst. only want to do it once. 16ft run from stove to roof.
got a budget of $1,000 or so.

any recommendations?

thank you.

jim

Going up and then out isn't a bad route. Most only need to be about 12" away from the house. So you only see about a foot of vent. I would look at Selkirk Direct Temp (OAK is outer pipe, exhaust is inner pipe. Very nice way to preheat the OAK air), or ICC pipe, or Simpson Dura-vent Pellet vent Pro.

What furnace are you looking at? If its a multi fuel furnace. Make sure you get multi fuel rated venting. You never know how expensive pellets will get. Corn and other fuels may become cheaper and a more viable source a few years down the road .

(Edit: Are you the one that got the US Stove furnace?)

I agree with dex. I have an up and out setup with Selkirk dt venting. I've been pretty happy with it so far. However I did just take the "nozzle" off for the season and put a cap on the end of the venting and found some buildup of what I think is creosote in the nozzle part only. Not sure though as I haven't really seen creosote before.

Going up and then out isn't a bad route. Most only need to be about 12" away from the house. So you only see about a foot of vent. I would look at Selkirk Direct Temp (OAK is outer pipe, exhaust is inner pipe. Very nice way to preheat the OAK air), or ICC pipe, or Simpson Dura-vent Pellet vent Pro.

What furnace are you looking at? If its a multi fuel furnace. Make sure you get multi fuel rated venting. You never know how expensive pellets will get. Corn and other fuels may become cheaper and a more viable source a few years down the road .
a
(Edit: Are you the one that got the US Stove furnace?)

when you say " up and " do you mean up from the furnace and out the side of the wall, with just a cap and the chimney stops there? the furnace manual sugests not to do that. besides i allways thought i would regreat and be one of those , i should have done it right things.

i just jot the Pinnacle/ traeger GBU070 furnace.

thanks for the reply.

I agree with dex. I have an up and out setup with Selkirk dt venting. I've been pretty happy with it so far. However I did just take the "nozzle" off for the season and put a cap on the end of the venting and found some buildup of what I think is creosote in the nozzle part only. Not sure though as I haven't really seen creosote before.

thanks, so are you saying that "up and out" just out the side of the house? is this a furnace or a stove? Pennacle sugests that the chimny runs out the roof, or up the side of the house.

Up and Out should be fine. Your vertical will be 4-6 ft (based on height of basement wall and grade outside), then a few feet of horizontal to run it outside (2-3 ft).

My Furnace is 4" Simpson Duravent Pellet Vent Pro and it has 5 ft of vert, to 4 ft of horizontal (2 ft inside, then 2 ft outside to get it the required distance from the house). Not saying that my furnace is the same as yours, but the principal is the same. Its a forced draft combustion furnace. BTW- My vent system was still about $500 (and I got a great discount from Eric at Kinsman Stoves), so $1,000 may cover a straight up install. But its gonna be close to your budget.

I would rather have a up and out, than have a bunch of exposed vertical outside the house. The vent will cool the gases and make a quick mess of the pipe.

Running straight up through the house would work. But not only is the cost going to be about 2-3 times as much, the amount of work is at least doubled. The vent will be insulated by being in the home, but I would still do the up and out.

Most furnaces/stoves in basements have an up and out vent. What you do is up to you.

I remember that furnace (Trager) on Craiglist. Brand new in box unit. You got a good deal on it. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.