Pellet furnace duct help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaclaren

Dec 8, 2010
Seacoast, NH
What have people done in this area? I am looking on line for ducting, a couple HVAC guys are cancelling as they can't make it due to the season demands.

So, what did you do? The PF100 is 14x18 which is not std size. Most places are huge $$ for simple ducting. Are people getting it done locally and if so, how is that pricing?

I bought my PF 100 off my neighbor and it came with 14 round duct work. I installed it into the propanes plenuim. The flow from the registers seemed weak so I added another 8 inch round (bought at Lowes) to the oppisite side. Installed a blocker plate over the A coil ( below the the supple ducts coming from the pellet furnace) to prevent back flow thru the propane furnace. Also have a 14 inch round return. Placed a peice of cardboard in the air filter spot of the gas furnace to prevent back flow thru the propane furnace ( share the same returns). This is not the ideal set up but i get great flow thru all registers now. There is more to getting proper air flow thru the ducts than most people think. They sell up to 12 inch at lowes, you could make something up pretty cheap to get yourself thru the winter then have the pro's come in durring the summer and get it set up correct for you. Hope this helps a little .

When i installed my unit i decided to use fiber duct it is easy to make your own ducts and can be made into any size you wish. they come in 4 ft by 10 ft sheets at about 36 bucks per sheet. The best part about them is that they are insulated ducts so there is very little heat lost through the ducting. just check with your local township building codes, chances are if your installing it yourself you are not telling the twsp. you can buy the tools online for cutting the ducts

Here are some links

http://www.jm.com/insulation/technical_info/ahs30_micro-aire.pdf

http://www.certainteed.com/products/insulation/hvac-mechanical/317382

http://www.owenscorningcommercial.com/data/products/product.aspx?id=271&systemId=81

the 14 x 18 hole in the top of you furnace is for the supply plenum you can buy plenum kit from the sheet metal supply company, you cut it down to fit. The put a take off into the plemun of standard size duct the run it into your supply duct that you ll ready have. The run a return duct from you rentun duct you hve in your house. to the new furnace also. To make the new system push air tho your duct system you have you will neew to block off you old furnace. The best way is with damper doors on both untis so you can use either one of them when you want. do not try to run them both at same time tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.