Pellet labeling vs actual quality (i.e. Athens)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure the bill is needed, internet and word of mouth works wonders. I know I didn't buy any this year because of the complaints on this site. Also the rule of thumb, try a few bags before you commit by the ton.

Do these pellets have the PFI stamp on the bags?

According to requirements posted on their site, if a mill is using bark in their
pellets, they should be rated as standard pellets not premium
due to the ash content.

State Rep. Tom Saviello supports Rybarczyk and is arguing against the wood pellet labeling bill. Saviello says the state requirements would only increase costs for consumers and create an impediment to many new pellet companies that are trying to get off the ground.

"You know, this is going to be a very competitive business. And maybe the certification idea is going to be a good idea for them on a voluntary basis. But right now, let's not put any regulations on top of these guys. Let's get them to get a chance to start. Now's not the time for us to go in an regulate them. Give them a chance to get started. If we find we have a continuing problem, then maybe we have to address it."

The problem this mill has is their reputation for producing a bad product. So the laws of competion will take its tolls on inferior product.
So Maine Woods Pellets will never see the inside of my stoves hopper again.
Fool me once....never again!

Codebum,

Thanks for posting the URL. I also purchased some Athens pellets last August and have been interested in following their progress, or lack thereof.

After reading the article, I have problems with some of co-owner George Rybarczyk's comments ( in quotes below at the end of this post) and attitude.

In my opinion, "regular testing" and "at least every other week" do not equate. If you have a bad reputation and quality problems, daily or batch testing would seem more appropriate. This is standard practice in many manufacturing facilities along with proper record keeping.

Additionally, Rybarczyk's comment refering to the PFI, and not having their emblem on the bag, which was, " I don't believe in advertising for them.", seems arrogant and short sighted. ( Their not responding to threads on this site seems to prove that out.)

Excerpts from the article:

"We didn't do anything intentional. I know those words were used, and I take offense to that, because nothing was ever done intentional," said George Rybarczyk during a public hearing last week on Pinkham's bill. Rybarczyk defended the Athens wood pellet plant that he co-owns with Robert Linkletter, saying the problem pellets were the result of a bad recipe, equipment problems and the failure by some employee's to adhere to the company's quality standards.

Since then, Rybarczyk says the quality issues have been resolved. "I can tell you that we did--we do--make a premium grade pellet. We get our pellets tested regularly--by regularly, I mean at least every other week. And all of our test results show that we do make a premium grade pellet. We comply with all the characteristics of the Pellet Fuels Institute, even though we don't have their emblem on our bag; I don't believe in advertising for them.""

I think I tend to lean toward the standards and truth in labeling. The cost may perhaps go up a little, but no more than any other product that is being tested. I think if we could count on a good product every time we purchase pellets that state on the bag that they meet certain standards, then it is worth it to me. How many folks have I read about on this forum that have bought so called "Premium" pellets only to find that they really did not meet that PFI standards. I would think that the extra maintenance and inefficient burning would have been well worth a small increase in price. Hecht...we all had to buy through this past winter paying a steep increase due to the shortages.

I understand that that start-up companies may take a short time to get up to par, but even some of the larger, well established manufacturers have taken shortcuts this year and produced inferior pellets labeled as premium. My recommendation is then wheather it's a start-up company or well established company, if it does not meet the PFI specs then it should be stated as such. I know once the PFI gets a good foot-hold on what they are trying to do, I will only purchase pellets that claim to conform to the PFI and sport the PFI logo on their bag. Because if the pellets are not what they claim to be, it gives me a good argument to return them.

all they have to do is have the pfi stamp and it should be good.

im glad im not alone with the moisture content problem, after burning 2 tons the my firebox is rusted, tubes,everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.