Pellet Newbie needs some help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdm277

Dec 8, 2008
baltimore, md
Hello all!

I've just fired up my Quadra-fire classic insert stove which came along with the house I recently bought. It was amazing.. for the first few days. Now after very light use, when I power it on the blowers all start up, pellets drop, but no heat from the auto-igniter. I hit the reset switch, blowers start back up, pellets drop... But no ignition.

Do you think after such little use the igniter went bad? I checked, the wiring seems fine to it. Any other suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

-freezing in baltimore

I had an igniter go on my P61A after about a year. There was really no indication of it going, it just stopped working suddenly. If you have a mutimeter you can disconnect the power wires to the igniter and see if there is power there (consult your wiring diagram) when the igniter is on. If not, the igniter is toast.
On my stove anyway, I undid the connections at the high temp wire connection in the back and had 115V across the blue and yellow wires, indicating that yes the igniter was toast. I started the fire manually and ran it in Room Temp/Manual until the dealer sent me a part(warranty).

"If you have a mutimeter you can disconnect the power wires to the igniter and see if there is power there (consult your wiring diagram) when the igniter is on. If not, the igniter is toast"

If you disconnect the wires, and there is NO power there, I would think the problem would be elsewhere?

Also, if you disconnect the wires and measure continuity through the igniter (OHMS setting on a multimeter) it should look like a short, or near 0 resistance. Infinite resistance would indicate it was "open"...likely bad.

Just my $.0000000002

Jim

No doubt you thought of this but...

One day my stove didn't start up. This had happened one time before after cleaning, and I hadn't put the burn pot back in straight. This time, it was a pellet that had somehow stuck itself right in the igniter hole, plugging it up! I couldn't believe it.

I talked to my dealer, and he said that the newer burn pots were using a bigger hole for the ignitor, and I could re-bore mine to 3/8". I suppose now the pellets would fall through rather than get stuck.

Anyway, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.