pellet overloads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Momocarver

Jan 5, 2008
Eastern Maine
I jave a St. Croix Auburn corn stove that kept overloading it's burnpot and going out. Because of this I changed to pellets. My damper is wide open. The stove does the same thing. Any suggestions?

My first thought is some blockage in the flue system somewhere - this would mean less air flow though the burn pot, and so the pellets would back up and overload. We had one member here who ended up finding a nest of mice in his venting system, and that was backing it up!

So first things are to make certain your air intake (outside air?) and vent system (pipe PLUS your internal smoke passages) are completely clear.

There are other possibilities - how long have you had the stove? How exactly is it installed?

Make certain the burn pot is properly installed and positioned. There may be a spec for setting up the stove (draft gauge)....

Is it working fine with pellets?

See my PM
can you Past my PM to you.
THE PM system will not let me get to my SENT PM messages
WHY IS THAT, WEB?

Rod, sent messages are not kept unless you check the little box when you sent them....but if they are there and you cannot get to them??? I suspect the box may be full or something like that. But I did allow quite a bit of room in the PM - I'll enlarge it a bit and see if that helps.

Webmaster said:
Rod, sent messages are not kept unless you check the little box when you sent them....but if they are there and you cannot get to them??? I suspect the box may be full or something like that. But I did allow quite a bit of room in the PM - I'll enlarge it a bit and see if that helps.

never noticed the Check box.
I found it thanks

In your Pm you said you have 3 feet of vertical then 3 feet of horizontal.

That venting might be one problem
3 feet of horizontal pipe is more that I feel comfortable with especially with out a vertical run after it.
Is the horizontal pipe have a 1/4 rise per foot?

im reposting after I reread your PM

your pm
The stove has always struggled to stay burning properly for any amount of time. I bought the stove last year and tried corn. This year after the installer cleaned it, I started burning pellets. Still can’t get the burnpot balanced. The stove has a 3 inch horizontal exhasut connecting to 4 inch vertical pl vent 3 and a half feet then an elbow and 3 feet of vertical pipe through the wall. The damper is wide open. The gaskets are all in good shape. The only place not cleaned within the last two days is the exhaust as it comes into the stove. All other pipes have been cleaned. I am going to try that next. thanks

are you trying to say you have 3 feet out the wall a 90 deg elbow then up 3 feet?
or
you have 3 feet up from the stove then an 90 elbow and 3 feet out vertical out the wall?

ither way I dont like the 3 feet vertical and there needs to be a T clean out where it goes up and not a 90 elbow.

your elbow will plug up fast with corn

Status
Not open for further replies.