Pellet Pig Basement Loading System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AVIVIII

Dec 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Well, as I was staring at 3.9 Tons (forgot Okies came in more than a ton per pallet) of pellets sitting on my equipment trailer, I came up with a great system to get them into my basement:

img20101220183614.jpg

img20101220183608.jpg

Once we got it going smoothly, it only took a little over an hour for my Dad and I to unload and stack the whole load. We did have 4 or 5 'casualties' but overall it went pretty slick!

What a great idea. Now you just need to start saving a few empty pellet bags to place under the new bags when you send them down the roller. That would probably prevent any more casualties.

I was thinking about how nice it would be to install a 'laundry chute' in the laundry room which is just off of the garage. I could get a pool slide off of craigslist or jungle gym slide and send the pellets from the garage right downstairs.

AVIVIII,

I do a low budget version similar to yours for getting pellets and Bio Bricks, from garage the to the basement.

Haul from the garage to the bulkhead in the John Deere garden trailer, 10 or so bags a trip.

Have 2 x 12's, covered with building poly, as a chute down the bulkhead.

Lower end of chute raised to the correct height for my Rubbermaid HD trolley cart at the bottom

Slide bags down the chute, move, with the trolley, and stack each 10 bag load to make room for the next batch.

Working by myself, the system is slick.

Way smoother, cleaner, and FASTER, than when I get in the three cords of firewood for the Tarm wood boiler!!

Ranger

Actually, mine is pretty low budget too.

The rollers are my Dad's and he is more than happy to have me store them anywhere but in his garage!

We were putting 3 bags into those tote boxes and sending them down, but they got going a little fast....

Cool setup.. :coolsmile:

I tried doing this once with a plastic kiddie slide, but man was it rough on the
back picking up the bags twice. Help always seems to disappear when there
is work to be done.

Now I just wipe out my knees lugging one bag in at a time instead. ;-)

Thats neat!

I kept my sons slide from the old swingset. Set it up and the wifey slides them down to me for stacking. Now if they could only get them to stack themself's! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.