Pellet pipe cleanout caps Simpson Dura vent vs Selkirk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I am installing a Double T and well I got a Selkirk which I just found will not fit my Simpson duravent.

Anyway
The Selkirk has very simple cleanout cap that fits the inside and is held in by one small screw. I am not sure about that!

The Simpson Duravent has a nice cap that goes on the outside and twists and comes right off very easily. that is if you use a lube like "Never Seez"

My goal here is to make cleaning simple not difficult.

What do you prefer??

Pic 1 - SelKirk cleanout cap (Selkirk is alot cheaper!)

Pic 2 - Simpson Dura Vent cleanout cap

Attachments

• TRHCleanoutCapsSC (2).jpg
    TRHCleanoutCapsSC (2).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 571
  • TRHCleanoutCapssc (1).jpg
    TRHCleanoutCapssc (1).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 570
Go with the simpson . There is a recent thread about the selkirk being a PIA to line up the screw hole.

will711 said:
Go with the simpson . There is a recent thread about the selkirk being a PIA to line up the screw hole.

Thanks, I returned the Selkirk, the Simpson does seem much easier. That is the reason I want a Double T in the first place!

Well the Simpson is on back order so it will be a while.

Don2222 said:
will711 said:

Thanks, I returned the Selkirk, the Simpson does seem much easier. That is the reason I want a Double T in the first place!

While you're waiting for it, locate some high heat anti-seize....a thin coat on the part of the caps that lock it will make future removal much easier....don't ask me how I know this. >:-(

imacman said:
Don2222 said:
will711 said:

While you're waiting for it, locate some high heat anti-seize....a thin coat on the part of the caps that lock it will make future removal much easier....don't ask me how I know this. >:-(

Hi Imacman

Thanks for the great tip, You must use it all the time in your work!

Is this the stuff in the pic below?
I use it on my Oil Tank's Garber Filter so I can get it off next time! Also works wonders on a Trailer Hitch too!!

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/antiseize.htm
The "original" anti-seize compound and extreme pressure lubricant formulated with copper, graphite, aluminum and other ingredients to protect metal parts against rust, corrosion and seizure up to 1800°F. Fine metallic and graphite particles in special grease protect parts even in high heat, high pressure and corrosive environments. Ford ESE-M12A4-A, Garrett Engine Div.
PCS5724, Pratt & Whitney PWA 360523-2 and tested to MIL-A-907

Applications:

Nuts, Bolts, & Screws
Pipe Fittings
Boom Guides
Valve Assemblies
Pump Mountings
Chain Drives
Shafts
Gaskets
Press Fit Assemblies
Taps & Drills
Metal Fittings
Machinery

Specifications:
Temperature Resistance: -297°F to 1800°F (-183°C to 982°C)
Particle Size: 2 Mil Maximum (50 microns)
Density (G/CM3): 1.19 to 1.29
ASTM D-217 Work Penetration: 280-350
ASTM D-92 Flash Point: >482°F (250°C)
ASTM D 566/Dropping Point: 360°F (182°C)
Torque Coefficient (K factor): 0.130
Coefficient of Friction/ASTM Test Method: 0.0057-.063 D-2266
Falex Test/Fail Load: 750 lbs (341 Kg)

Attachments

• TRHNeverSEEZsc.jpg
    TRHNeverSEEZsc.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 474
There is a high temp version....that's what I'd use on the caps:

Attachments

• 41XmguYCtrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41XmguYCtrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 407
Hello imacman

My "Never Seez" is rated to 1800 degrees F for oil boilers and works well.

What is temp yours rated for? They probably both work good for this application.

I see your loctite here and it states it is better than my grayish silver compound but my Never Seez was only $15.00 !!
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=41703
Exclusive formula suspends Copper and Graphite in a high-quality lubricant
Protects metals from rust, corrosion, galling, and seizing
Better than "Silver-Grade" compounds in almost all bicycle applications (especially titanium and aluminum)
Size: 8oz brush can

Attachments

• TRHNeverSeezOnCleanoutCapSC.jpg
    TRHNeverSeezOnCleanoutCapSC.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 413
Don2222 said:
Hello imacman

My "Never Seez" is rated to 1800 degrees F for oil boilers and works well......

That will work just fine.

Hi Imacman

I could get this really high temp stuff but would that be overkill??

Never Seez® High Temperature Stainless Anti-Seize
Never Seez® High Temperature Stainless Anti-Seize A stainless steel, graphite, aluminum based anti-seize compound formulated to protect up to 2200°F against seizure and galling, galvanic and severe environmental corrosion. It was specifically designed for applications that cannot use nickel based products. Tested to MIL-A-907.

Applications:

Fasteners in steel mills and power plants.
Stainless steel pipe fittings, flanges, pump fittings and unions.
Fasteners in exhaust manifolds.
Reactor bolts.
Turbine bolts.
Gauges and fittings.

Specifications:
Temperature Resistance: -297° to 2200°F (-183°C to 1204°C)
Particle Size: 2 Mil Maximum (50 microns)
Density (G/CM3): 1.23 to 1.29
ASTM D-217 Work Penetration: 300-350
ASTM D-92 Flash Point: >482°F (250°C)
ASTM D 566/Dropping Point: 350°F (177°C)
Torque Coefficient (K factor): 0.16
Coefficient of Friction/ASTM Test Method: .080 D-2625A
Falex Test/Fail Load: 500 lbs (227 Kg)

Attachments

• NeverSeezHighTemp.jpg
    NeverSeezHighTemp.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 371
Don, that is way overkill....you're not lubing a turbine. What you have already will work fine.

Thanks Imacman

I tried it on my existing T cap and wow it sure makes a huge difference!!

Thanks again for this really great tip!!!!

I have the Selkirk and I don't have any trouble with it. Only time I've had any trouble was when I was trying to find the screw hole from the opposite side of the pipe that it was in. And amazingly it doesn't just fall out as soon as you take out the screw, you have to nudge it to make it move.

Haubera said:
I have the Selkirk and I don't have any trouble with it. Only time I've had any trouble was when I was trying to find the screw hole from the opposite side of the pipe that it was in. And amazingly it doesn't just fall out as soon as you take out the screw, you have to nudge it to make it move.

Thant's good, that means it makes a good seal.

Do you need a screw driver to pry it off or can you remove it by hand?

just a light tug with your fingertips and it will shift.

Haubera said:

Did you have any problems with Smoke leaking from the bottom? And did you have to seal it?

No you don't seal the bottom. And there isn't any smoke that comes out there. Especially once you get a little fly-ash settling on it, that pretty much seals it for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.