Pellet Price Guide - move to Here???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
A few years ago I set up a fuel price guide where folks can enter the local prices. It is still active to some degree.

However, I am considering replacing it with a simple sub-forum to this one - because 95% of the entries we get are for pellets. There is very little action in the corn or biolog part and I already removed the oil and coal sections since they got no action.

What do y'all think? It would be in the pellet room like the Fischer stove forum is now in the classic room. It would automatically sort by date (of course) and would be for posts only (no replies). Folks could tag their own entries either by state or zip or more (I can even add "prefixes", which are drop down things before the title to specify "new england", "mid-atlantic" etc.

Or, people can just start their titles with the state abr. and city, for instance:
MA, southampton - $190 per ton (title)
Hey, I found pellets at the blah blah on rt 10 for blah blah (posting).

Opinions??

Reactions: smoke show
x2

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Great idea, I think the forum members will like it and use it!

Actually, I found Blah Blah's just about a mile south of the junction of Blah Rd and Rte Blah, and they were only asking $Blah/ton! I absolutely stuffed my Subaru Blah full and drove home very slowly, carefully avoiding the Blah Expwy.

Actually, I found Blah Blah's just about a mile south of the junction of Blah Rd and Rte Blah, and they were only asking $Blah/ton! I absolutely stuffed my Subaru Blah full and drove home very slowly, carefully avoiding the Blah Expwy.
You need a pellet stove;)

I cut and split blah blah blah...Me and a buddy blah blah blah...90 cords of blah blah blah...All hardwood blah blah blah...Truck was sitting on it's blocks blah blah blah...We brought it all home by way of the freeway blah blah blah...We were doin' 95 blah blah blah...Brakes were smokin blah blah blah...!! We've all heard your story! ;)

Anyway, I'm in on the Sub-Forum idea!

don't do it. plain old crazy idear sir. (there's always gotta be one...might as well be me)

You need a pellet stove;)

Actually not out of the question at all in the future...unlike the cord wood itself, I don't get better the older I get. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Defiant
A few years ago I set up a fuel price guide where folks can enter the local prices. It is still active to some degree.

However, I am considering replacing it with a simple sub-forum to this one - because 95% of the entries we get are for pellets. There is very little action in the corn or biolog part and I already removed the oil and coal sections since they got no action.

What do y'all think? It would be in the pellet room like the Fischer stove forum is now in the classic room. It would automatically sort by date (of course) and would be for posts only (no replies). Folks could tag their own entries either by state or zip or more (I can even add "prefixes", which are drop down things before the title to specify "new england", "mid-atlantic" etc.

Or, people can just start their titles with the state abr. and city, for instance:
MA, southampton - $190 per ton (title)
Hey, I found pellets at the blah blah on rt 10 for blah blah (posting).

Opinions??
I would like a database that has prices, delivery fees, current stock, all of the product data, testing results from here and the amount of fossil fuel it takes to move all this crap around so i can make a real informed choice.

I would like a database that has prices, delivery fees, current stock, all of the product data, testing results from here and the amount of fossil fuel it takes to move all this crap around so i can make a real informed choice.

Yeah, but I'm lazy and would surely get the wrong data from the pellet makers.......they aren't about to tell the real story when it's not a good one (I'm in marketing myself.

OK, I'm gonna try this sub-forum thingy - and improve it as it goes along....give it a little time.

Basically, it will be ONLY for reporting prices - sellers and buyers can report (anyone, in other words).

BUT, when people want to discuss - i.e. "are blah blah at $250 a good deal?" that still goes in the regular pellet room. Only single entries with no replies will go in the Pellet Price Report sub-forum.

Also, if the pellet manufacture gets it's electricity from a green source, or from dirty coal or nuclear plants. That way we will truly know if the pellets are green or just subidized by the dirty energy/Dick Cheaney bunch.... And if they are transported down the highway via Amish horse and buggy would be nice. NO?!?!? Seriously, you simplifying it would be nicer. AND I LOVE THIS FORUM, even if I don't post but once a year. If I keep this up, and i'll be kicked off it in no time. :)

... And if they are transported down the highway via Amish horse and buggy would be nice. NO?!?!? Seriously, you simplifying it would be nicer. AND I LOVE THIS FORUM, even if I don't post but once a year. If I keep this up, and i'll be kicked off it in no time. :)

My understanding is that horses are rather inefficient, so I would not want horse drawn pellets. \
:)

I like to read about the experience of the hunt and purchase. Was the seller helpful, know what they were talking about, or try stupid things, like saying the pallet of pellets was a contractor's pack! Are the pellets under cover etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.