Pellet prices going up or is it just here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rehabbingisgreen

Sep 29, 2010
Missouri
Uhoh, so the one local source we have for pellets is usually comparable to out of town prices but sometimes they don't have the best pellets. Anyway they have some in so I went to check them out and the prices are a dollar a BAG higher than last year. WTH?!

I have noticed some price increase here too, But not $1.00 a bag(holy cr@p). Generally we see some increase just before heating season starts(the fall rush) and another once winter sets in.

Box stores got a pellet war started already here in New England. Do you have a box store close by?

rehabbingisgreen said:
Uhoh, so the one local source we have for pellets is usually comparable to out of town prices but sometimes they don't have the best pellets. Anyway they have some in so I went to check them out and the prices are a dollar a BAG higher than last year. WTH?!

I'm also in the same situation as you are. I have nothing avaiable and the big box stores are like $250-$300 or so for a decent brand. Only places i've found are at the local farm and ranch stores and i'm also wery about the brands they get. I was hoping my TSC would get a good brand and they got the dreaded OHP's. So what do you have up in missouri this year?

Lineman30 said:
rehabbingisgreen said:

I'm also in the same situation as you are. I have nothing avaiable and the big box stores are like $250-$300 or so for a decent brand. Only places i've found are at the local farm and ranch stores and i'm also wery about the brands they get. I was hoping my TSC would get a good brand and they got the dreaded OHP's. So what do you have up in missouri this year?

OHP's of course and I won't buy those unless there is nothing else, a brand I was told pennington's but I am unfamiliar with those, and somersets that I will be buying out of town again.

rehabbingisgreen said:
Lineman30 said:
rehabbingisgreen said:

OHP's of course and I won't buy those unless there is nothing else, a brand I was told pennington's but I am unfamiliar with those, and somersets that I will be buying out of town again.

I feel you on the OHP's. Penningtons are made probably in the Greenfield Missouri plant (east of Springfield). Never burned them but there a few around here that carry them. I think that they might be too proud of them because they come at a steep price.

Prices here at the big box stores are (so far) holding steady at $197/ton. Military discount, or movers coupons can get it down to about $178

prices seem to be going down in seattle-puget sound area i bought 3 tns of blazer pellets mid august paid $208.00 ton. now mid september they are $179.99 ton. go figure.

There were no deals to be had in my area this year. I've had bad experiences with the big box stores and typically avoid them. I usually start looking for deals from independents at the end of the burning season. Until this year, I'd buy when I see an incredible deal. There just weren't any to be had this year.

$260 seems to be the average price for an average quality pellet. Barefoots have been pushing $300 (even in the spring), so I refuse to buy them even though I love them.

I ended up biting the bullet and ordering some Cleanfire Pacifics. I bought five tons without trying them first, so I hope I don't end up regretting my decision!

Didn't see a thread showing local pellet prices so I thought I'd stick this in here.

The agway in Norwich is selling pellets for 269 a ton with an additional delivery price dependent on your distance. The catch is they will put the pellets where ever you want. That includes your basement bag by bag. I thought this might be a really nice option for some folks. Of what I've read these aren't bad pellets.

Hello

Due to the Big Box price war, our local Grain Store has to hold their price and just announced a price Extension!!

See Logik-e prices that went down from $275.00 per ton to $248.00 per ton!
http://www.dodgegrain.biz/content.aspx?cid=41

These are Super Premiums with only 4% Moisture for 200 to 300 more BTUs per pound!!!

Attachments

• DodgeGrainGenevaWoodPellets.jpg
    DodgeGrainGenevaWoodPellets.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,021
  • WPGenevaPremiumWoodPelletsSC.jpg
    WPGenevaPremiumWoodPelletsSC.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,028
  • WPGenevaPremiumWoodPelletsSpecsSC.jpg
    WPGenevaPremiumWoodPelletsSpecsSC.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,026
I'm planning on getting some this week. Debating between Cubex ($275/ton) or trying the Logik-e ($250/ton).....opinions? Don have you burn the Logik's before?

I gotta say that I'm pretty happy this year. I will use the big boxes and if you can haul your own and hand pick what you get it works pretty well. I've got 1 1/2 tons of Somersets, 1/2 ton Great American Pellets, and a 1/2 ton mix of cleanfire, hardwood heat,appalachians,and the new Instant heats all for $197 - $200 a ton. The local TSC is matching the Lowes/HD prices now too.

Schoondog

Prices here are all over the place and mostly crappy pellets. I will probably have to travel 1 1/2 hours away to get some rocky mountain pellets again. It's worth it

Lineman30 said:
rehabbingisgreen said:

What did you like or not like about the southern In pellets? I am looking into getting some of those to try.

I just order 2 tons of Vermont Super Softwood ($260/ton) and 1 ton of Maine Woods ($235/ton). I'm going to try some softwood pellets this year.

Out here in the Great Northwest early bird prices are a little lower than the last year and a lot lower than 2 years ago. Westwood Premiums (AKA Okanagan's) can be purchased in 2 ton amounts for $185/ton delivered.

North Idaho Energy Pellets (100% Doug Fir) are $189.00/ton with free delivery if you buy 2 tons as well. These Pellets are even better than the Okanagan's (or Westwoods depending where you buy) IMO.

I'm glad i ordered when i did (mid july) and saved a ton of money.

We bought Nature's Heat pellets (2 tons) from Sams club around the time this thread started in August for $187/ton, $3.74/bag. I was shocked to see they raised the price to $262/ton or $5.24/bag when I was there yesterday. The prices always go up when it starts to get cold but, holy crap man!

purchased 3 tons of blazer pellets at home depot at 208.00 a ton mid august. they went down to 179.00 ton mid sept. i paid cash. 3 loads 3 reciptes. could only find 1 recipet. they gave me back the diffrience on all 3 tons about $82.00 back. cant beat that kinda customer service.

Price dropped here by $.50/Bag bringing it down to a realistic $4.49/Bag or $225/Ton, Hope to see it go lower but doubtfull. This is the New Plant that started here in Central New Brunswick Last Fall, Producing a Premium Softwood/Hardwood Mix Called Crabbes.One of the only times i can honestly say i'm happy to have Crabbes.

Don2222 said:
Hello

Due to the Big Box price war, our local Grain Store has to hold their price and just announced a price Extension!!

See Logik-e prices that went down from $275.00 per ton to $248.00 per ton!
http://www.dodgegrain.biz/content.aspx?cid=41

These are Super Premiums with only 4% Moisture for 200 to 300 more BTUs per pound!!!

I still don't know why people spend the $$ on these pellets. THe extra pellets I have to buy at the 7900/197 a ton is still well below the $248 a ton pellets.

so, that's 13 extra bags at 7900btu's or 4million extra BTU's buying the box store(without 10% coupon)

So, the only thing you save with the 248 a ton is time moving the bags and the space to hold those. So, why do I want to buy the $248 a ton pellets??

Since there is only a 22 cent difference between the 63 bags vs 50 bags maybe it is the fact that with most stoves it is one less cleaning or being able to have a hopper load last overnight on cold days, Then again it may be the the actual difference in burning one vs the other is other than the what the claimed BTUs alone represents.

I'm just weighing in to make all you eastern based folks jealous... I'm planning to buy the $139/ton pellets again this year. That's actually down $10 per pallet as they were $149/ton last year. :) Rated as premium pellets, just not as ash free as the NIEL that I bought the first year for $50 more per pallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.