Pellet Prices Going Up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subsailor

Minister of Fire
Dec 8, 2011
Winthrop, Maine
I've been happily buying Greene Team pellets at the local Lowe's for $4.18 a bag or less for the last 2 years. I recently went to get more, but now there selling Greene Teal Platinum pellets for $5.59 a bag, which I won't pay. They also raised the price on Maine Choice pellets from $4.18 to $4.49 a bag. After seeing these preices, I moved on to Home Depot. I bought 6 bags of MWP and 30 bags of Bayou for $4.18. I went back last weekend, and they are now selling Nation's Choice for $4.84 a bag. Is anyone else seeing increased prices or is this a local thing going on in central Maine?

subsailor said:
I've been happily buying Greene Team pellets at the local Lowe's for $4.18 a bag or less for the last 2 years. I recently went to get more, but now there selling Greene Teal Platinum pellets for $5.59 a bag, which I won't pay. They also raised the price on Maine Choice pellets from $4.18 to $4.49 a bag. After seeing these preices, I moved on to Home Depot. I bought 6 bags of MWP and 30 bags of Bayou for $4.18. I went back last weekend, and they are now selling Nation's Choice for $4.84 a bag. Is anyone else seeing increased prices or is this a local thing going on in central Maine?

I am seeing price increases here in WNY. At the big box stores and the local dealers as well.

Supply and demand thing..I wait until late winter or spring to stock up. Usually can get some super deals. Don;t see pellets going down as we head into the heart of winter, not unless there is a certain glut on the market. BTW: Do they trade pellets on the NYSE yet?

Hmmmmm. winter's here, its getting colder, and pellet prices are going up? Hooduh thunk? This sounds like a cold weather conspiracy to me.

Pellets have taken a jump around my area at the big box stores.

Home Depot went from 3.74 a bag to 4.84 a bag within a couple weeks.

I saw the same thing last year. I'll wait around and get some later in the winter.

Still beats fuel oil by a long shot.

Prices up all over. Even the boxstore war had to raise prices. Where last season it stayed steady until they were running out in the spring. Some brands are scarce due to fiber shortage as well. So we are seeing a bit more rise than we did last season.

Some places are holding steady. Its just no where I live! :red:

In this game is pays to have a buffer store. Load up when they are affordable and use the buffer to ride the waves. Sneak some in when you see the deals about. Just need to be smart about it. ;-)

The local shop in souther NH has New England $259/ton, OK $269/ton, Vermont $269/ton & Logik-e $259/ton. Any thoughts? I am into my first ton of green suprem from lowes and have 2 tons of clean fire from woodpellets.com in the waiting.

j-takeman said:
Load up when they are affordable and use the buffer to ride the waves. Sneak some in when you see the deals about. Just need to be smart about it. ;-)

I think this is one aspect of heating with pellets that I like the most... not only is it more hands on, which I love too, but things like this can make it even more economical than it already is. You're not locked into an oil or gas contract, so shopping around for the best value is actually an option.

An option you don't get with the more conventional heating fuels.

76brian said:
j-takeman said:
Load up when they are affordable and use the buffer to ride the waves. Sneak some in when you see the deals about. Just need to be smart about it. ;-)

I think this is one aspect of heating with pellets that I like the most... not only is it more hands on, which I love too, but things like this can make it even more economical than it already is. You're not locked into an oil or gas contract, so shopping around for the best value is actually an option.

Very well said! I think you know how to play and have fun playing the game. ;-)

Fortunately I have 70 bags Greene Team and 25 bags od Bayou. Anyone have any toughts on MWP?. Local hardware store is selling them for $209.

jdege said:
The local shop in souther NH has New England $259/ton, OK $269/ton, Vermont $269/ton & Logik-e $259/ton. Any thoughts? I am into my first ton of green suprem from lowes and have 2 tons of clean fire from woodpellets.com in the waiting.

Where in southern NH are you finding Okies and Vermont pellets?

subsailor - I burn MWP and have had good luck with them. They burn well in my stove and should in yours as well. I am new at this and have only tried a couple bags of a couple other brands so not much to compare to. I bougth 3 tons in the fall delivered by SIB in Jay for $219/ton. Plan to go out today to pick up some Spruce Pointes. Wanted to try some SW pellets.

Where are you finding Spruce Pointe pellets in Maine?

xraycer - Home & Hearth in Hampton Falls carries the brands I noted. By the way, how do you get the message you are replying to to be included in your reply?

jdege said:
xraycer - Home & Hearth in Hampton Falls carries the brands I noted. By the way, how do you get the message you are replying to to be included in your reply?

Under the post you will see "quote" Click it and add your reply below it. ;-)

j-takeman said:
76brian said:
j-takeman said:

Very well said! I think you know how to play and have fun playing the game. ;-)

wow you Noreasters are paying alot
ashame your not closer I would help you out
after all I cant burn all 22tons this year

j-takeman said:
jdege said:

Under the post you will see "quote" Click it and add your reply below it. ;-)

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.