Pellet Quantities & Install Q's...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ4174

Jul 26, 2008
South Eastern PA
Ok... So, was going to do a wood burning fireplace, but since the guy at stove place forgot to mention the space I needed for the chimney, my bump out or space isn't going to work for a fireplace, so I got a Quadrafire My. Vernan pellet stove.

I'm hearing people around my area say they go between 3 and 4 tons, mostly though about 3. One of the reasons I wasn't going to do a pellet stove was because of the price of pellets and their availabilty. I was only able to buy 2 tons from the place I bought the stove, there is another supply place that is supposed to get some in, so I'd like to have another 2 tons just to be safe, however they are high demand... The one place I called, the lady literally laughed at me when I asked about them... So anyway, just curious how many tons you all burn... Perhaps that question was asked already, if it did please point me in the direction of that thread...

Now, my install question. The stove says it needs to be back of the stove at the pipe, needs to be 3" away from any combustible materials. I'm basically surrounding my stove with stone vaneer and behind the stone I'm going to have cement board, now granted I'm not planning on putting this pipe against the stone obviously, but if it works out that it's 1" - 2" away, will that be an issue??? Thoughts???

Thanks...

The amount of pellets you go through will depend on several factors: the pellets you burn, your stove settings such as feed rate, the surrounding tempatures, and how well your house is insulated. You freinds are right though. Most people seem to say around 3 ton/yr on average.

As for your clearances, a 3" clearance to combustionables can be reduced if the surrounding material is non-combustionable. If this is a free standing stove and not an insert, than you may want to take into consideration how close to wall you are in the back of the stove if you need to access it for anything (such as removing panels to clean blowers and stove internals).

codebum said:
The amount of pellets you go through will depend on several factors: the pellets you burn, your stove settings such as feed rate, the surrounding tempatures, and how well your house is insulated. You freinds are right though. Most people seem to say around 3 ton/yr on average.

As for your clearances, a 3" clearance to combustionables can be reduced if the surrounding material is non-combustionable. If this is a free standing stove and not an insert, than you may want to take into consideration how close to wall you are in the back of the stove if you need to access it for anything (such as removing panels to clean blowers and stove internals).

Thanks for the reply... I have a neighbor that has his pellet stove in his basement with a vent off the front if it, into his family room. He's house is bigger than mine and not as open. He said he uses 4 ton of pellets and about a tank and a half of oil each year. I'm not sure of the stove he has and it's capicity and efficiency though, but I'm hoping to not burn any or very little oil, so I'm going to try to get 4 tons of pellets for this year. They don't get bad they if they are kept dry...

Yes, it is a free standing stove and I need to see how close it will be for the cleanout. I just wanted to hide the back of the stove and also don't want it in my room super far. You only need to clean it out what yearly? For that I don't mind moving it... I have a motorcycle jack I'm planning on modify or making an adapter for this...

Sounds like you have good plan. Yeah go ahead and get the 4th ton. Can't hurt to have too many. Your manual does state yearly for the blowers and exhaust ares for the cleaning schedule. Maybe other who burns that much with a Quadrafire Mt. Vernon model could chime in and let you know what their experiences regarding cleaning routines.

Status
Not open for further replies.