Pellet Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhagerty

Jan 10, 2011
Southern NH
Thought I would share my pellet experience with my new Harman Accenta.

I have burned through several bags of Maine Woods, heat seems good, on a scale of 1 to 10, I rate them a 7. Ash seems ok as well, I rate them a 7. I would buy these again.

I burned a few bags of Freedom Fuel a few days ago and I rate them a 7 for heat and a 6 for ash as compared to the Maine Woods. Seems like this would be an ok pellet for the fall or spring.

I am now burning Cleanfire from Woodpellets.com and I have to say I am very happy with them as compared with the others I have tried. I rate them an 8 for heat and an 8 for ash. No problem buying these again

Next, I will be trying Cubex; I picked up 6 bags and will trying them sometime this week.

What are the prices.

I bought a ton of cubex at 260/ton delivered. I then tried a couple bags of Maine Choice, same heat but more ash but can get them for 187/ton pick up.

Had the XXV since November, Have run Stove Chow, instant heat, warm front, Eureka, freedom fuel, and one other cant remember the name, they were in my basement for 4 years. It eats up everying without a single complaint, in the dead cold of last month it averaged just around 1 bag / 24 hours no matter which pellet I used. Only differences I can tell is that some pellets left slightly more carbon deposits than others and of course some had slightly more ash that others, heat output wise is negligeable. My opinion is that the feed systems and burn pots on these Harmans are outstanding and not much is going to slow them down, although it doesn't seem to like very long pellets as much as shorter ones, some of the instant heat I still have around have pellets 2-3 inches long. I say burn whatever is the cheapest, unless of course they have a bad reputation as total crap. 275 / ton for super duper premium pellets just isn't worth it compared to 187 / ton of stove chow at HD. Over the past 14 seasons the best pellet I ever burned were dry creek, worst pellet was energex, not bad heat just very small pellets, burned and fell through the whitfield burn pot very quickly, may be just fine for the XXV.

Chud,

Got a 1/2 ton of the Maine Woods with the stove as part of deal but my dealer sells them for $249 a ton

The Feedom Fuel was from HD, I bought 12 bags for $44 - $3.66 a bag.

The Cleanfire was $249 a ton, I bought 3 tons

The Cubex were $6.50 a bag or 275 a ton.

Pro Pellet $205 a ton, have a truck coming in Tuesday Morning. Best pellet out their with 100% indoor storage.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.