Pellet Shelf Life

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophie

Aug 9, 2008
NH
We will be using a pellet stove and a wood stove this year. I think that the 4 tons of pellets we bought may last awhile because of the wood. Should be be concerned about the pellets degrading over a period of time? Is there a recommended shelf life?

What yoscratch said. Preferably store them inside
a garage, porch, or basement if possible. If you
have to keep them outside keep them on the pallets
they arrive on, and cover them very well.

I just burned some that I had for 3 years in my garage
and they were nice and dry with no problems.

Better kept inside like a cellar or garage. They don't take up much room and I manage to stack mine up around 6 feet high by stacking bags on top of the lower. Once up there they don't want to slide off, just stack em like they do at the factory. I would be a bit nervous leaving them tarped well here in the NE on an exposed porch or outside. The bags do have tiny holes in them so if you are exposing them to a lot of moisture over an extended period like a rainy Spring around here it could be a problem. I have done just that short term with no problems but would hesitate long term. Better to find an unused corner in your basement or garage if you can.

We have them stored in the cellar. We do run a dehumidifier in the summer because we have a problem with dampness in the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.