Pellet Storage - Indoors or Outdoors?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonD

Dec 22, 2010
Wallingford, CT
Hi all! First time poster here with a newbie question.

I'm getting read to install my Quadra-Fire Castile this weekend. I just bought all the piping yesterday and I'm doing my research before ordering my first couple of tons of pellets. I noticed one of the local CT pellet retailers states that their soft wood pellets must be stored inside. Is this just to keep them from getting wet or are there other reasons? Is this more of a problem with soft wood compared to hardwood? I was planning on starting with a ton of each soft and hard to see what I like better.

I noticed going through the forum most of you store them in the basement. I was planning on storing them on a large covered porch that is up off ground, but still it is outside. Is it the elements (rain/snow) that’s a problem, or the temperature? The porch would be out of the elements but still at outside temperature. The porch is right outside a door by the stove so would be a lot more convenient to go grab a bag to refill the stove.

Thanks,

Don

Hi Don, and welcome to the forum.

Storing the pellets on an outdoor porch shouldn't be a problem, unless it regularly gets wet from wind-blown rain....then it needs to be well covered with a tarp. The temp of the pellets has nothing to do with how they burn, IMO.

As for the dealer saying that softwoods MUST be stored indoors....I have NEVER heard that before.

IMO, time is running short on getting your pellets......once the temps start to drop, the prices may start going up.

EDIT:

Oh, and don't forget to post pics of the final install....we LOVE pics. And our saying goes, "no pics means it really didn't happen!" :lol:

you should be ok with them on the covered porch. just make sure they dont get wet. welcome to the forum

The pellet bags have tiny holes in them that allow them to be stacked tightly... the holes allow the air to escape. moisture can migrate into the bags...

I store most of my pellets on a covered porch.... I use a small tarp to keep them dry.

Outside is fine as long as you have shelter. Porch is a great option. I like to keep the hot sun off them, too much daily temp swing in direct sun can cause moisture in the bag. This effect diminishes as the cooler weather of the burning season approaches.

Thanks for the welcome and all the feedback. Sounds like I will be OK with one season's pellets on the covered porch. I'll make sure they are covered with a tarp in case of any wind blown rain or snow. After doing some research I was starting to be concerned that even with a covered porch I might have an issue with moisture getting absorbed but hopefully being out for just the one season will not be a problem. I think I'll leave a few bags inside as an experiment and see if I see any difference come February or so.

I'll definitely post pictures of the install! I have all the pipes, thimble, etc. and I'm working on a tile covered hearth pad now.

Don

Big thing is, if you have to break open the pallet, ( i.e. take off the shrinkwrap and big heavy bag the pallet comes all wrapped up in), that's when outdoor storage becomes a problem. Stored outdoors, or on a porch, with the shipping wrap still on, no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.