Pellet stove furnace recommendations and questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGISLANDHIKERS

Feeling the Heat
Sep 12, 2007
I am thinking of replacing my pellet stove with a furnace. It would be in the same place as my stove. Not sure if I would tie into my current duct or run a separate, simple system. w or w/o cold air return? Probably just two or three runs to the first floor.

Looking for a furnace that has some of the qualities of a stand alone, with a large viewing window.

How much will a furnace heat up the basement even though it is ducted upstairs? My current stove heats it very well. It is finished off.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
BIH

http://www.fahrenheittech.com/endurance_corn_stove.html

Fahrenheit Technologies Endurance has the largest viewing window.

If you want the most efficiency(assuming stove is in basement) your best bet is to use the cold air return. Otherwise your going to draw heat back around to the lower level.

Not sure where your from, But member dexterday has a used one and might be willing to part with it! Send him a PM if your near Northeast Ohio.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/that/25006/

Yep.. Looking to sell it and just got a Brand new updated control board that I have not even put in yet....

Its a heck of a heater. And I have thought about putting it the shop as a replacement to the Old Englander. But would be overkill.

Large Window. Large Flame..

Attachments

• Endurance.jpg
    Endurance.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 204
DexterDay said:
Yep.. Looking to sell it and just got a Brand new updated control board that I have not even put in yet....

Its a heck of a heater. And I have thought about putting it the shop as a replacement to the Old Englander. But would be overkill.

Large Window. Large Flame..

I am hoping that which ever furnace I install that it will heat up the basement even though it is ducted.

I am in central Michigan. Howmuch you hoping to get for it

Thanks

BIH

I got $2,000 in it and that comes with some pipe (flue) and over 10 ft of the 12" duct with backdraft damper for the furnace (if tied into existing HVAC). Only used about 6 times in my garage after I bought and cleaned it. Bought the woodstove right after buying it. Never been truly hooked up in my house. In my garage now and just picked up the new board last friday. Newest updated board.

BIH,

I don't have a furnace, But I have something very very close(yeah, I cheated big time)! Don't install the cold air return. Between the radiant heat from the unit and the heated air being drawn back to the stove. Your basement will be warm. You can also add a tee with a damper to add heat to the basement area if needed. I didn't have to add any heat from the duct to my basement. The radiant and heated air being drawn back to the strove are enough to keep my basement in the 60's all winter long. About 8-10ºF below my upstairs temps. But I don't want it much warmer than that down there! Example upstairs at 74ºF= basement at 64-66ºF.

Most furnace designs are to put the heat upstairs, But with some thinking ahead you can work around that.

One last note, These units are much larger than a pellet stove. If I had to pick one out of the units available the Endurance is about the prettiest of them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.