pellet stove in basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisf

Jun 25, 2009
upstate NY 12025
Well I bought a third stove for a great deal and I am going to sawp one out I am putting my lopi upstairs andmy kozi ksh down stairs in a unfinished basement. with no insulation. the house is built in the 1890's. and I cant finish the basement. what I am looking to do is use the stove in the basement on the real cold days just to take the chill out of the floor to the 1st floor. it is not to keep the pipes from freezing since i have run pellet stoves for 5 years and have not had any problems yet. will it work for what i want it to do? I figure with doing that my stoves up stairs wont run as much.

Can't think of a reason why that won't work for you, other than basement installs can be a little tricky due to longer exhaust runs, extra elbows, limited places to exhaust, boring through joists or foundation, etc. Do you have specific concerns?

well I have been reading on here you need to insulate the basement. I could see it if I was going to try and heat my whole house. The one in the basement is only going to be used part time. so I will see how it goes. Install is a piece of cake clean out T 3' pipe 90 degree elbow and 2 ' out where a window use to be.

No problem there I thought about going up a little bit. I will see how it goesand if I need to add some hieght I will doo that.

bkfc255 said:
well I have been reading on here you need to insulate the basement.......

It's just going to take longer to warm-up the basement area due to the lack of insulation......the foundation just sucks-up the heat. Other than that, shouldn't be any real issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.