Pellet stove in Garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Excell

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2009
Winnipeg
I have bought a pellet stove and want to install it in my garage . I did some research on the citys web site and found that it is allowed .But it must be 18 in
above the floor and protected . Now I dont know what they mean by protected so I phoned city hall and got switched from person to person untill I got dissconnected .
I called back and tried again I got switched to another person and he said he didnt know either but his boss should know and he would be back friday .
I am thinking that if I pour 18 in .Of concrete and put the stove on top that should do it . Has any one run ito this and know what they are talkig about

If you have such a person as a town or city "inspector", that's who you need to talk to, or the local fire Dept. Chief probably would know too.

The reason that they want it 18" off of floor is because of the vapor/fumes from the vehicles in the garage. Any gasoline, flammable liquids, can create vapors that they want the stove to be above.

I would also check with your insurance company to make sure that it is alright with them. May need a special rider or something.

Surprised that the locals would allow you to put stove in the garage. Is the garage attached to the house?

Well, I don't know about your local city codes but, I was recently shopping for a new homeowners insurance that would allow two pellet stoves and they asked about my (unattached) garage. My shop is fully insulated and heated by a Bryant +90 house furnace, which they didn't have a problem with, but most of them didn't allow a wood burner or pellet stove. Food for thought, I would call my insurance first............

The insurance co is fine with it as long as it is installed to code . There is no surcharge with a pellet stove as long as it installed to code . That is the only reason I am
getting a permit . If I get it passed it will save me $120 .00 per year . That will pay for half of my pellets . The money I save on wood will pay for the rest and more .
I had a modified barrel stove in there for 15 years . If I last another 15 years that is alot of money. I am sure that I am going to find out what all has to be done but I am not used to this . Usually if I want to do some thing I just go and do it . I spent 4 hrs on the phone today and found out nothing . You would think that this would be written down some wear that they could look it up .

Status
Not open for further replies.