Pellet stove in Pre- fab fireplace??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
My friend has a pre-fab fireplace in his house - it has a 6" rigid stainless steel liner in a wooden chase on the outside of the house. He wants to install a pellet stove. What are his options? Does he need to replace the liner with a smaller one? Can it even go inside of the old liner inside the chase? Is this up to code? He was looking at the Enviro M-55 and the Quadra-fire Mt. Vernon. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

I have an Harman Accentra insert that is installed in a pre-fab fireplace.
A 4" liner was installed into the existing flue. I originally wanted an Enviro M55,
but after learning that non-masonry fireplaces need to have an enclosure built for it, I looked elsewhere.
The details for the enclosure are in the M55 insert’s installation manual.
We're very happy with the Harman.

I've been struggling with this same issue for a few years. The current owner of the company who made my prefab fireplace say "no solid flue inserts", but I have talked to a few stove shops who say that I can put one in. I think there are some inserts that are basically independent of the enclosure. Some of the dealers don't want to use the chimney. The want to drill holes right out the back of the fireplace and put a traditional horizontal exit. That set up would be better for me to access the pipe for cleaning. My days of going up a ladder to the roof are long over. I would make sure you have the alteration plans reviewed and have some reasonable anticipation that the install will pass inspection. To date, I haven't made any changes. So far, I'm able to heat my house, both floors, at 74-78 F in all but the very coldest days with my stove located in my finished basement. So to make the prefab install change over, for me, the cost benefit ratio just isn't there.

wood-fan-atic said:
My friend has a pre-fab fireplace in his house - it has a 6" rigid stainless steel liner in a wooden chase on the outside of the house. He wants to install a pellet stove. What are his options? Does he need to replace the liner with a smaller one? Can it even go inside of the old liner inside the chase? Is this up to code? He was looking at the Enviro M-55 and the Quadra-fire Mt. Vernon. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

You can look into the "Zero Clearance" box that Harman has for their Accentra Insert. I was surprise when I seen it and dicussed with Harman Tech over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.