Pellet stove insert installation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kpaynejr86

Aug 26, 2019
California
Good day everyone.
I recently received a used pellet stove insert and am planning on installing it in my fireplace. I have a few questions regarding the venting as well as metal flashing around the stove itself. My current chimney is 8" round, can I get an adapter to go from the 3" exhaust to the bottom of the 8" chimney. Also the plan is to frame a box inside the fireplace and line it with sheetmetal as a heat shield. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190825_200625.jpg
    20190825_200625.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 254
  • 20190825_200729.jpg
    20190825_200729.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 255
  • 20190825_204758.jpg
    20190825_204758.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 248
My understanding is that you'd be better off following the manufacturer's recommendations for exhaust pipe diameter. My pellet stove replaced an older, non-working wood stove. When the dealer installed my pellet stove, they ran a 4" flue up the chimney, inside the existing 6 or 8" wood stove flue (4" is required for flues beyond a certain length; 3" is acceptable below that), and that worked just fine. You can get 3 or 4" flexible flue piping for a very reasonable cost per foot. You might want to verify that whatever you decide to do is acceptable to the local building inspector and to your insurance company. Just saying.

Both Dura Vent and Selkirk make adapters for 3 inch to 8 inch.
My set up is 3 inch to 6 inch class A chimney. Have used it for 17
years without any problems
Google 3 to 8 adapters

Both Dura Vent and Selkirk make adapters for 3 inch to 8 inch.
My set up is 3 inch to 6 inch class A chimney. Have used it for 17
years without any problems
Google 3 to 8 adapters
Usually dealers recommend that because it’s easier to clean the flu if you have 4 in all the way.

What kind of stove is that? Is it approved to be installed in a z/c install? You might want to check in the manual, some stoves have z/c install kits from the MFR. If not, prob a good idea to check with your local building official, making sure he is good with that install...