Pellet stove install plan - whaddya think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelb

Nov 1, 2011
Southern PA
Hello,

After much indecision, I think I'm going with the following install plan (TimberRidge 49-TRCPM Freestanding). Put it right where the TV in the picture below is. Go straight out through the wall, then cleanout T, then straight up vertical vent cap termination 24" above the roof. As you can see in the photo, there really isn't an eave so I'll continue to run straight up past it by 2ft. That wall is facing the prevailing wind, so I want to terminate above the roofline. Cleanout will be a little of a bear 'cause the cleanout will be like 8-10ft in the air, but I do have a ladder, and I'm not afraid to use it :)

I'm not in a high elevation location. Englanders/TimberRidge's instruction manual doesn't even really specify EVL, but to roughly calculate it:
10ft vertical * .5 = 5 EVL
2ft Horizontal * 1 = 2 EVL
1 Tee with cleanout * 5 = 5 EVL
12 EVL total = I think I want to go 4" pellet/corn/multi-fuel pipe.

1. Do you guys see anything crazy about this? The only thing strange for me is that I have not seen in one brochure, instruction manual, etc that has the vent going up the side of the house, not going through an eave, and then terminating vertically with a vent cap. Definitely haven't been able to find a kit.

2. Horizontal cleaning - How do I clean out the horizontal section of the pipe? Seems to me like a T with cleanout only helps me clean vertically. Do i have to take stuff apart to clean horizontal section or is that accomplished some other way (perhaps through T somehow)? Should I get a 4 way with 2 caps? Do they sell those?

3. Was planning on NOT getting a hearth pad. Need to do more research. I have grouted ceramic tile over wood. I would think it is not combustible. Englander/TimberRidge specifies: "The protection should be U.L.
approved or equal". Can I look at a box of my tile to figure out if it's safe/ok? Hate to shell out $300-$500 for a hearth pad...guess I could make my own if necessary, but won't have much time until after the holidays, so I'd probably just buy something.

4. Venting - Seems like DuraVent, ICC Excel, or Selkirk. I think I need to look at all the parts i need. Anyone have suggestions for sites to look at? Any recommendations between those 3 brands? I don't mind splurging a bit on the venting...and don't want to wait a month to get it delivered. I suspect I will not find a kit that matches my exact needs.

Thoughts / advice much appreciated!!!

Attachments

• family area.jpg
    family area.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 445
  • outside2.jpg
    outside2.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 428
Where does the RPTV go after the stove install? ;)

If I'm understanding correctly the pipe will be exposed?

If so I would recommend Selkirk Direct temp for venting if you would like it to resemble traditional wood stove pipe.

Aesthetically speaking I think the looks are much more pleasing, but might add cost. Much better product than Dura Junk.

my $.02

Stay far far away from DuraVent if you have those other choices.

Based on what you plan to do, I think your install sounds good. And I see no need for 4" pipe with the EVL at 12....the fact it's a multi-fuel stove makes no difference.

I have the same floor as you do, and the same stove....the town inspector had no issues with it.

I didn't see you mention anything about installing the OAK, which Englander includes w/ the stove and requires it to be installed, but if you have the $$, you might consider using the Selkirk Direct Temp pipe. It incorporates the exhaust & OAK in one pipe....neat system.

As far as cleaning the horizontal pipe, some pipe manufacturers make a double T....allows cleaning both vertically and horizontally.

2 great places to get piping is from a forum member Eric at Kinsman Stoves (great guy, and gives discounts to forum members - 330-448-0300), and www.dynamitebuys.com

Seems like a pretty big stove for one room (52,000 btu), unless you like to dress lightly during the winter months. ;)

imacman said:
Based on what you plan to do, I think your install sounds good. And I see no need for 4" pipe with the EVL at 12....the fact it's a multi-fuel stove makes no difference.

I have the same floor as you do, and the same stove....the town inspector had no issues with it.

I didn't see you mention anything about installing the OAK, which Englander includes w/ the stove and requires it to be installed, but if you have the $$, you might consider using the Selkirk Direct Temp pipe. It incorporates the exhaust & OAK in one pipe....neat system.

As far as cleaning the horizontal pipe, some pipe manufacturers make a double T....allows cleaning both vertically and horizontally.

2 great places to get piping is from a forum member Eric at Kinsman Stoves (great guy, and gives discounts to forum members - 330-448-0300), and www.dynamitebuys.com

After reading your Post. I had a comment to make. But after reading imacman's. I got nothin....... X2 on everything he said.
3" would be fine
Tile is probably good
double clean-out T
Call Eric at Kinsman

Your on the right track... Keep on keepin on. Great choice of stove by the way.

You might want to think about just doing a vertical termination through the roof. It would look a little better from the outside and then the cleanout "T" would be inside. But you may not like the look of the vent pipe inside?

X2 on the Selkirk DT. Great stuff.

GrahamInVa said:
You might want to think about just doing a vertical termination through the roof. It would look a little better from the outside and then the cleanout "T" would be inside......

I feel the outside pipe is the way to go, since it allows cleaning of the vertical w/o worrying about any of that soot getting into the house, and also it allows the connection of a leaf blower very easily. Cleaner inside look w/o the pipe.

Heck of a good question on the RPTV - Trying to figure out if it will fit in our bedroom somehow. Otherwise someone gets it for $50-100 bucks (it's a bit on the fritz). Ordered that Walmart Black Friday $500 51" plasma to go on the wall above the new stove.

I'll check out that Selkirk Direct temp pipe, sounds nice to just put one hole in the wall...all depends on price differences tho

I was thinking about going 4" with the thought that I'd get better airflow regardless, and if I were to ever change stoves in the future it might be more compatible with other stoves. If it doesn't hurt anything, I might at least check out the price difference.

Going through the roof - It's a metal roof with vertical seams..scares me a little bit. I think i'm willing to trade cleaner looks inside, ability to attach plasma tv above it, and potentially easier install. But if I ever change stoves, then I'll be paying someone to patch a hole inside/out in my wall. Willing to live with that trade off for now.

Figuring out how exactly i'm going to run the wires to the tv is on my TODO list. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

BTW - A big thanks to everyone on this forum!! I've picked up so much good info here.

Good call on location of stove(and tv). That was my suggestion on your first post.

When we were trying to figure out the placement for the stove, there was one area that was ideal but would required a few feet of vertical venting inside the house. The wife was not thrilled. She's much happier with this placement sans visible pipes. Would of liked to have placed it 45 degrees to the corner, but a couple of circumstances would of made that option more complicated.

In regards to hiding tv cables/wires, how about a tile backsplash that runs from behind the stove up to behind the tv? Make the backsplash "floating" and run the cables/wires behind it.

Good luck and some pictures of the finished products please.

Attachments

• firstfire.jpg
    firstfire.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 278
michaelb said:
I was thinking about going 4" with the thought that I'd get better airflow regardless, and if I were to ever change stoves in the future it might be more compatible with other stoves. If it doesn't hurt anything...

agreed.

all good ideas, on the exterior I would add a chase similar to your fireplace chase
may 16" square, check combustible clearances, and sided to match
I dont like seeing add ons outside

You mention the possiblity of using 4" so that any future stove may be compatible. One other thing to think about is the hole where your venting will go out. If you go out and up, your future stove installation would probably be tricky due to elevation differences. I recommend going up and out.

mepellet said:
You mention the possiblity of using 4" so that any future stove may be compatible. One other thing to think about is the hole where your venting will go out. If you go out and up, your future stove installation would probably be tricky due to elevation differences. I recommend going up and out.

another good point
possibly go up inside with a 1 foot slip fit piece so it will be behind the stove out of site
then go outside and continue up
then if you change stoves you can adjust the slip fit to length

Status
Not open for further replies.