Pellet stove installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Methotical5669

Oct 29, 2020
Mass
I know this is probably a dumb question but I have one. I want to install my pellet insert but don’t want to spend the money because I am cheap, to install up the chimney flue. I want to know if I can go out the fireplace wall and install it out the house that way. That means put a hole going through the brick, mainly to save money not having to buy a chimney liner.
thanks

You certainly could. There's pictures on here of people that have done just that. Regardless, I'd still follow what your manual says as to pipe runs as far as verticals and clearances. I would think you'd also want some vertical to help with draft should power go out to keep the smoke out of the house.

I know you said being cheap, but unless you already have the hammer drill and core bits, I can't see it being much cheaper. I ran my insert up the chimney (about 25') and by the time it was all said and done, I was only out about $100.

Eric

Welcome to the forum
no such thing as a dumb question only stupid answers.
And this may be one of them.
First what kind of chimney does your fireplace have?
if it is meant for a wood fire, clean and safe for a wood fire
you will not need a liner just a block off plate with appropriate
fittings to connect to the stove. As far as a hole out the brick
I see no reason not to but you still have to block off the chimney.

I know this is probably a dumb question but I have one. I want to install my pellet insert but don’t want to spend the money because I am cheap, to install up the chimney flue. I want to know if I can go out the fireplace wall and install it out the house that way. That means put a hole going through the brick, mainly to save money not having to buy a chimney liner.
thanks
That's how my brother has his vented. On his second insert, first one was a Whitfield, now has a Harman. Both work fine vented that way.

You certainly could. There's pictures on here of people that have done just that. Regardless, I'd still follow what your manual says as to pipe runs as far as verticals and clearances. I would think you'd also want some vertical to help with draft should power go out to keep the smoke out of the house.

I know you said being cheap, but unless you already have the hammer drill and core bits, I can't see it being much cheaper. I ran my insert up the chimney (about 25') and by the time it was all said and done, I was only out about $100.

Eric

Thank you. Also where did you find it for $100. I have been looking and prices for the liner are over $200. Also looking for a bottom plate, I know stainless steel would do, but cutting it is a pain

Thank you. Also did your brother cover the damper with a metal plate or just keep the damper closed?
Damper assy left in, just sealed and insulated it.

one thing to consider... if you punch a hole through the chimney its going to hurt your resale for 2 reasons. If the new owner ever wants to put the fire place back into use its going to cost to repair the hole you drilled through the chimney. If it were me and i seen a hole punched through a chimney instead of a proper plate and adapter going up the chimney i would wonder what else was done half assed and walk away no matter how much i liked the house...

I just realized that no matter what, I am going to have to go through the brick. One for bringing in the electrical and the other for the fresh supply. So no matter what, it looking “ half assed”, the holes are necessary like going through the brick when putting in a gas insert.
thank you

Can someone point me in he directions of where to find pics of installing through a fireplace wall brick. Sorry I am new to this, and thank you in advance

Easier to patch a 1 inch hole for electrical than a 4-6 inch hole for exhaust if someone ever wanted to convert it back.. Since it sounds like your doing this yourself make sure you have the proper permits pulled, you have talked to the local inspector and see what you must do to make this legal, As well give your insurance company the inspection report

Sorry, don't check this over the weekend. I got 3 foot sections of pipe at Lowe's. Thinking back, the first insert I had (Whitfield Profile 30) may have come with the flex hose. Of course, this was all 8 years ago, too.

Eric