pellet stove problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinglew

Dec 12, 2006
new york
list the stove you have.any and any problems you had since day one .breckwell 2700 4years old replaced 2 igniters run on off 24/7 that it.your turn

St. Croix Pepin installed (used) 10/07... no problems since I discovered how to clean it.

My stoves are listed below:

Enviro:Installed 9/2006 new. Control board blown by the installation tech.
Combustion blower replaced.

Quadra Fire:Installed 5/2008 new. Horizotal vent replaced by verticle because of backdrafts

St. Croix: Installed 4/2009 showroom model sold as new. Stove wouldn't start. The dealer,on the same service call, replaced the control board, the vacuum switch and just about every other switch before the stove worked.

All the stoves are working fine now and the only part I had to pay for($212) was the Enviro combustion blower which I put in myself.
I also will add that the Eviro and the Quad are in my house in Maine and The St. Croix is in my house on Prince Edward Island

Kinglew,

What's your point? Those with stove problems start their own threads to discuss their issues. Many have their stoves listed in their signatures. You need to be a little more specific if you want reasonable responses, otherwise you're going to get smart ____ remarks like mine. :grrr:

mi point is share info on problems so people can learn from others of what to expect from other brands.if you dont want to post dont.

Quadafire 1200I. Only a minor problem with startup a couple of times. Seems to happen only after a power loss. Had to hit the reset button a couple of times to get the auger to feed pellets at the proper rate for startup. Had the stove installed on January 2, 2009 and used it for primary heat ever since. Dealer had been excellet. Bought 4 tons of pellets from them over the summer and they delivered to the house within 10 minutes of the time they stated. Helped with the restacking in the garage. They were in and out of the driveway within 20 minutes. Love it.

I had a 2007 bigE

Convection blower crapped out within the 1st year. Also had a control board act up.
All were replaced no charge by dealer.

I had to sell it because it did not keep my house warm and was very picky on which pellets you could burn.

So far My Omega has been flawless installed feb of 2009

My old 1994 Quad Nova model 800 was also flawless. I only had to change the convection blower snap disc. Not bad for a 15 year old stove. I bought it used in 1999

Stevekng said:
My stoves are listed below:

Enviro:Installed 9/2006 new. Control board blown by the installation tech.
Combustion blower replaced.

Quadra Fire:Installed 5/2008 new. Horizotal vent replaced by verticle because of backdrafts

St. Croix: Installed 4/2009 showroom model sold as new. Stove wouldn't start. The dealer,on the same service call, replaced the control board, the vacuum switch and just about every other switch before the stove worked.

All the stoves are working fine now and the only part I had to pay for($212) was the Enviro combustion blower which I put in myself.
I also will add that the Eviro and the Quad are in my house in Maine and The St. Croix is in my house on Prince Edward Island
Lucky you to have a place in Maine and PEI! Enviro- replaced the agitator motor under warranty

4 years Quad Mt. Vernon 1. Igniter and baffle plate replaced under warranty. Heavy mods to stove i/e Magic heat on exhaust pipe and duct work added to front of stove to turn it into a furnace type stove.

4 years Quad Mt. Vernon 2. Bird in convection blower.

3 years Quad Castile. Pellets sticking in the hopper fixed it with spray on dry graphite.

4 years Harman Boiler. 3 igniters and sticking draft door. Deformed burn pot fixed by drilling bigger holes above the igniter to increase the air flow.

1 year Breckwell P23 old. Got it for free with bad control board.

All stoves and boiler are used to heat the our houses and run 24/7 unless the house is left for a vacation. All stoves use about 28 tons between them per year the boiler is a pig using about 15 of the 28 tons.

5 year old Summers Heat 55SHP10 run 24/7 from usually Nov-March, rough estimate puts the stove at over 13,000 hours.

1st year - Auger motor replaced under warranty.
2nd year - No problems.
3rd year - No problems
4th year - Combustion blower replaced $$ by me, lower auger, bearing and auger motor replaced under warranty (they had a bad casting of lower augers in 05 is what I was told)

So only $140 of my money to keep it running over 4 years I think I can deal with that seeing as how the stove was only $1200 brand new.

littlesmokey said:
Kinglew,

What's your point? Those with stove problems start their own threads to discuss their issues. Many have their stoves listed in their signatures. You need to be a little more specific if you want reasonable responses, otherwise you're going to get smart ____ remarks like mine. :grrr:

That was my reaction too. 42 posts since 2006??? If you are looking for info, you have to help contribute to others' posts too.

Quad Mt. vernon AE bought Jan 2008. no parts replaced, but I did modify my own burn pot to match the new one they came out with because I was having trouble lighting straight corn. I lie, I did replace burn pot gasket and bought a spare ignitor for when that burns out, but it hasn't yet.

Hello

Avalon Astoria 1 year old. I cleaned the iron brick back plate but put it back in when it was still damp and wet!! This is the best way to cause a PELLET JAM in the auger!! Do not use a wet or damp stove!! LOL So now that I learned how to clean it. NO PROBLEMS

Good info here, I like the Graphite Spray in the hopper. I use Graphite Spray on the Blower Fans now after cleaning them!!!

Whitfied Quest, 1996: Pellets would constantly build up in burn pot, even on low heat and max air. Stove completely cleaned. Finally, gave the stove away to a friend after 10 years of misery.

Whitfield Advantage Plus Insert, 1998: Replaced auger motor in 2009. Runs like a champ. No other problems.

Harman P-38, 2007: Stove would quit running last year several times. Found that the pellets I was using, Kentucky Kernal, Louisville, were bridging in the bottom of the hopper which prevented the pellets from going into the burn pot. Some of these pellets were 2 inches long or longer. This year we purchased a truckload of Somersets.

On my third year with my Baby Countryside, 2007. No issues so far....That said, I haven't tried it yet this year :) I should probably push the button and see if the fan comes on and the auger cycles, huh?

Maybe you could have titled this thread as a Poll: Stove brand, and number of problems or something like that. Pellet stove problems led me to think you had a problem with your stove. I prefer to read individual problems listed and not a Poll.

I would ask the same as someone else did. I dont see the point in this thread, if I have any problems I'll post a new thread asking for help.

Nicholas440 said:
...... I dont see the point in this thread, if I have any problems I'll post a new thread asking for help.

The intent of the thread was so the OP could tell everybody that Breckwell ( "break-well " LOL) is the greatest stove ever built, since he has one....check some of his other posts in other threads....it's always about how great his Break-Well is.

Status
Not open for further replies.