pellet stove service manuals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskeyrichard

Dec 12, 2006
Does anybody here know how to obtain a service manual for a Harmon pellet stove?

I have a Harmon 25 anniversery pellet stove and have moved from the town where I bought it and the local dealer will not support me. I guess that is how their warranty program works.

I have the owners manual, but I need to find a copy of the service manual.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ

Try this:
http://www.homewarmth.com/maintenance.html

I have never found a cleaning manual specifically for the XXV but the manuals on
the other Harman stoves at this site will give you the basics.
Between this link and your own stove manual, you should have no problem
finding all the nooks and crannies that need to be maintained

whiskeyrichard said:
I have a Harmon 25 anniversery pellet stove and have moved from the town where I bought it and the local dealer will not support me. I guess that is how their warranty program works.
You know, it occurs to me that this is the perfect case for a class-action lawsuit. Unless the Harman warranty specifically states that the warranty is for carry-in service only and must be returned to the point of purchase (both legally permitted restrictions), their behavior seems to violate the Magnusson-Moss Act. The FTC has clear rules about warranties like this (16 C.F.R. Part 700) and even includes a clause where if the language in the warranty is ambiguous it is automatically interpreted in favor of the consumer. Federal courts can impose injunctive relief (like requiring all Harman dealers to honor any Harman warranty) and a class-action suit could be brought in either State or Federal court and attorney's fees are allowed to be part of the judgement.

Any lawyers on the board who would like to make a few bucks? Might be just what this industry needs to make it move from its boutique management style to a real consumer product orientation.

DiggerJim said:
whiskeyrichard said:
You know, it occurs to me that this is the perfect case for a class-action lawsuit. Unless the Harman warranty specifically states that the warranty is for carry-in service only and must be returned to the point of purchase (both legally permitted restrictions), their behavior seems to violate the Magnusson-Moss Act. The FTC has clear rules about warranties like this (16 C.F.R. Part 700) and even includes a clause where if the language in the warranty is ambiguous it is automatically interpreted in favor of the consumer. Federal courts can impose injunctive relief (like requiring all Harman dealers to honor any Harman warranty) and a class-action suit could be brought in either State or Federal court and attorney's fees are allowed to be part of the judgement.

Any lawyers on the board who would like to make a few bucks? Might be just what this industry needs to make it move from its boutique management style to a real consumer product orientation.

Words to big, brain start hurt...

It is sad that a company with Harman's reputation, has maintained that reputation even though we've heard of this scenario multiple times. It makes me happy I kept the extra $3k in my pocket and purchased what is considered a low end product. At least I can get support for my pellet stove, or at the very least buy parts from other vendors.

whiskeyrichard said:
Does anybody here know how to obtain a service manual for a Harmon pellet stove?

I have the owners manual, but I need to find a copy of the service manual.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ

Harman doesn't have service manuals for specific stoves models. They do have trouble shooting guides, but none for the XXV

the warranty section of the manual does state that the stove must be serviced by the dealer it was purchased from, so I cannot really complain too much.

The problem I am trying to solve is that I am getting combustion area smells coming out of the distribution blower, so I was hoping to get an exploded view of the stove so I could see where the potential problem could exist.

Thanks,
Russ

whiskeyrichard said:
the warranty section of the manual does state that the stove must be serviced by the dealer it was purchased from, so I cannot really complain too much.

The problem I am trying to solve is that I am getting combustion area smells coming out of the distribution blower, so I was hoping to get an exploded view of the stove so I could see where the potential problem could exist.

Thanks,
Russ

Most likely cause is a leak in vent pipe close to back of stove. The dist blower pulls it's air in from this area.
Any leaks that occur before the exhaust blower will pull air in because of the negative pressure.

I really do not think it is a leak back there at the pipe. I have installed all new simpson duravent pipe, and was meticulous with the installation. I checked and double checked for leaks, and would bet a pay check there are none back there. The stove is installed as per the psecs in the manual and local codes. The install goes straight back for two feet, through a wall thimble to the outside where there is a tee (for clean out), then it goes up for 3 feet and then has the proper cap.

When I run the stove on low, so the distribution blower is running at slow speed, this same smell escapes out through the stop of the stove around the sides where there are some open areas and the 'harmon' labels are. Then when I crank up the distrib blower, the smell gets pretty strong coming straight out the front of the stove with the heated air.

I'll go tonight and triple check all the pipe.

Is there any place in the combustion area that should have a seal that could be comprimised? I am failry mechanicaly inclined and have no problem pulling this apart, but want to be somewhat informed before I do it.

Thanks again,
Russ

freebird77 said:
Parrot Head,
How would one get a hold of the troubleshooting guide for a p61?

Sent you a PM

whiskeyrichard said:
I really do not think it is a leak back there at the pipe. I have installed all new simpson duravent pipe, and was meticulous with the installation. I checked and double checked for leaks, and would bet a pay check there are none back there. The stove is installed as per the psecs in the manual and local codes. The install goes straight back for two feet, through a wall thimble to the outside where there is a tee (for clean out), then it goes up for 3 feet and then has the proper cap.

When I run the stove on low, so the distribution blower is running at slow speed, this same smell escapes out through the stop of the stove around the sides where there are some open areas and the 'harmon' labels are. Then when I crank up the distrib blower, the smell gets pretty strong coming straight out the front of the stove with the heated air.

I'll go tonight and triple check all the pipe.

Is there any place in the combustion area that should have a seal that could be comprimised? I am failry mechanicaly inclined and have no problem pulling this apart, but want to be somewhat informed before I do it.

Thanks again,
Russ
The combustion blower is a quick release type, check and make sure that it is properly seated and the thumb screws are snug. Check the tail pipe gasket too. Besides the pipe, these are the only places that I can think of.
Oh, btw, a little trick I use to find a leak like this is to make the stove produce excessive smoke: soak some pellets (handfull) in a cup of water for a while, then pour the wet pellets onto an established fire in the stove (about a medium burn). Quickly close the door. This will produce oodles of smoke. Just be ready with a flashlight to look for smoke seepage.

I did remove, check and replace the combustion blower. I was suprised to see there was no gasket there, but it was a good tight seal.

When you talk about the tail pipe gasket, do you mean the gasket at the manifold that bolts to the outside back of the stove?

The stove fills with smoke at startup for a brief period. I'll check at that time for leaks.

Russ

whiskeyrichard said:
I
When you talk about the tail pipe gasket, do you mean the gasket at the manifold that bolts to the outside back of the stove?
Russ

Yes.

It's hard for me to believe, but using your method of soaking some pellets in water and then burning them, I found the leak.

It was at the appliance adapter. I ran a couple screws through the appliance adapter to secure it. I had the appliance adapter on the exhaust manifold so tight that the screws I put in went through the interior liner of the damn stove pipe. It was traveling down to the third pipe joint (where I had not sealed it) and was coming out there!!!

Almost as bad as chasing a leak in a roof. Sheesh.

Thanks again for the advice. Between dropping about 4 grand and then losing warranty and then not able to get this stove to burn without stinking up the house, I was starting to get frusterated.

I have realized that I am going to be the warranty for this stove from here on out, and that I better get to know what makes her tick.

Russ

Good. Happy to know you found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.