pellet stove will be main heat source any recommendations for electric space heaters to even out tem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

control1

Aug 24, 2008
bucks co pa
I am planning to heat with a pellet stove this winter.Last year was my 1st year using pellets I am hoping to use either an oil filled elec radiator or something else to even out the heat upstairs any recommedations

yardleypa said:
I am planning to heat with a pellet stove this winter.Last year was my 1st year using pellets I am hoping to use either an oil filled elec radiator or something else to even out the heat upstairs any recommedations

Electricity is the most expensive form of energy for heat, any thing else is still a good deal. Use what you have been using in the past before the pellet stove but use less.

I heat my entire house with the pellet stove and have no problems with cold rooms, i use a ceiling fan and it moves the heat around nice.

It depends on how the cold room is used, I think. I used an oil filled radiator in our bathroom last winter since the room is used through out the day but if I had a room that was only used for short periods of time I think I'd go with a ceramic heater since they heat so much faster.

Has anyone got any info or good reviews on the Eden Pure Electric heater?
They are suposed to be good so I hear?
I thought of purchasing one for the room furthest from my pellet stove.
The room has its own zone and that is were I expect to use most of my oil this year.

Keep in mind *any* electric heater is 100 percent efficient.

I like the ceramic ones in that they have lower output temps. (same heat though)

tubbster said:
Keep in mind *any* electric heater is 100 percent efficient.

I like the ceramic ones in that they have lower output temps. (same heat though)

How do you figure that oine? Last time I checked...it seems that there was a lot of light coming off those heaters.
Electric heat is about as efficient as heating your house with 100 watt bulbs!

Pelletizer, I was considering the Eden Pure last winter but after doing some research on the internet I decided against it. If you do a google search you'll find plenty of complaints about them totally not living up to the hype.

Dont touch the Eden Pure Heater. Consumer Reports rates it LAST on all Space Heaters. Do the search. Better off with a $40 Honeywell.

I think electric space heaters are a decent option for evening out temps. Dollar for dollar electric heat is expensive, but these heaters are efficient, convenient and often sized appropriately for bedrooms and other small rooms.
I use a couple micathermic panels heaters which work pretty well.

I also might buy one of these this winter. Terrific reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/SH-1508-Tower...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1221766158&sr=1-36

Many times with these it seems the negative reviews come from unrealistic expectations. The edenpures are way overpriced, so people have a right to be po'd when they don't live up to the silly hype

All electric heaters are 100% efficient, I agree, every watt that the heater consumes will go into heat in the room. Also you must consider that the use of individual electric heaters provides extremely efficient zone use of heat. You don't need to heat the whole hosue just to add heat to one room. The electric heater also eliminates duct losses that may be incurred by the central furnace.

Even if the electric rates are high enough that the "fuel" costs more per btu than the furnace or stove you might find it very difficult to beat the price at heating a single room.

I use, and recommend, actual wall mounted heaters with actual seperate programmable thermostats that can be set to only heat these oddball rooms like bedrooms, when they need to be heated. Modern wall heaters are very safe and effective at heating individual rooms when the primary heat source isn't capable of doing it without making the rest of the house too hot.

Highbeam said:
All electric heaters are 100% efficient, I agree, every watt that the heater consumes will go into heat in the room. Also you must consider that the use of individual electric heaters provides extremely efficient zone use of heat. You don't need to heat the whole hosue just to add heat to one room. The electric heater also eliminates duct losses that may be incurred by the central furnace.

Even if the electric rates are high enough that the "fuel" costs more per btu than the furnace or stove you might find it very difficult to beat the price at heating a single room.

I use, and recommend, actual wall mounted heaters with actual seperate programmable thermostats that can be set to only heat these oddball rooms like bedrooms, when they need to be heated. Modern wall heaters are very safe and effective at heating individual rooms when the primary heat source isn't capable of doing it without making the rest of the house too hot.

It just simply isn't so. Electric heaters have losses. How about the little light that tells you it is on. Or the fans that blow air over the coils. How about the light that is emitted from the coils that isn't in the infra red spectrum? All these things add up to losses.

Every watt consumed by an electric heater will eventually turn into heat. The light will eventually hit a wall and turn into heat. The fan creates air movement that is eventually absorbed by friction and turn into heat. Even the sound from the fan will eventually be absorbed by something and turn into heat. About the only difference is in the quality of the thermostat.

I agree with Highbeam about the wall heaters, but you might also consider electric baseboard; it's simple, cheap, safe, silent and 100% efficient. It would cost you an arm and a leg to do a whole house with it at today's electric rates, but it allows for almost infinite zoning. This will cut your losses in the unheated rooms while keeping your feet from freezing to the shower in the morning.

I'm not a fan of portable heaters as invariably they get used in an unsafe manner and can start a fire. They are a good way to find loose connections in your wiring because pulling 12.5 amps through a circuit rated at 15 amps will warm up any problem areas and melt the plug or wiring. They're OK for occasional use, but I think a permanently installed heater is a better idea.

I think I'd rather pay $400 for a ton of pellets than for an overrated electric heater...

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.