Pellet stove Window Clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mazcrumple

Jun 17, 2011
Central Jersey
After going back and forth between wood and pellet stove for the past 2 months I have decided on a pellet stove. Considering it is much simpler to operate, I figured it would help my home's resale value more than the wood stove. Also, of course, it makes my install MUCH simpler.

I am planning on installing it in a corner, and there is a window on one of the 2 walls. The top of the stove will be about 12" below the window. The install manual has information regarding clearances from exhaust termination to windows, but not from the actual stove. I have seen many pictures of pellet stoves near windows, so I assume it is ok, but I dont know for sure.

The stove is a Quadrafire MT Vernon AE, and I will be using a OAK. Also, is there a required distance between the exhaust termination and the OAK inlet? I have also seen pictures where they are quite near each other, and the only instruction I can find says the OAK inlet must be below the exhaust termination.

Thanks

mazcrumple said:
After going back and forth between wood and pellet stove for the past 2 months I have decided on a pellet stove. Considering it is much simpler to operate, I figured it would help my home's resale value more than the wood stove. Also, of course, it makes my install MUCH simpler.

I am planning on installing it in a corner, and there is a window on one of the 2 walls. The top of the stove will be about 12" below the window. The install manual has information regarding clearances from exhaust termination to windows, but not from the actual stove. I have seen many pictures of pellet stoves near windows, so I assume it is ok, but I dont know for sure.

The stove is a Quadrafire MT Vernon AE, and I will be using a OAK. Also, is there a required distance between the exhaust termination and the OAK inlet? I have also seen pictures where they are quite near each other, and the only instruction I can find says the OAK inlet must be below the exhaust termination.

Thanks

Simpsom Duravent sells a wall thimble that does both. Exhaust and OAK. Yes there are clearance's. Read the manual to be sure. I would go with the double feature wall thimble myself... It can be right in front of the window, as long as your exhaust terminates within clearance's. Go through your roof and stay 12-18" above and you can put almost anywhere.

Like dexterday said, check the stove manual and the pipe manual. I just went through this with my stove. I ended up haveing to go through the roof because I couldn't get the 2' need from a window. Some stoves require less if you use a OAK. The manual should go over this.

I will be using Selkirt direct temp pipe which incorporates the OAK within the double wall of the pipe. I was able to find bits and pieces on eBay for a good price.

Also, remember if you go horizontal there is the potential for some soot buildup on your house.

GrahamInVa said:
Like dexterday said, check the stove manual and the pipe manual. I just went through this with my stove. I ended up haveing to go through the roof because I couldn't get the 2' need from a window. Some stoves require less if you use a OAK. The manual should go over this.

I will be using Selkirt direct temp pipe which incorporates the OAK within the double wall of the pipe. I was able to find bits and pieces on eBay for a good price.

Also, remember if you go horizontal there is the potential for some soot buildup on your house.

You should also plan on extending that horzontal with a vertical secton out side. This will help with the draft in keeping smoke out of your house if the power goes out.

Can you post a pic?? If its a corner install, then there is not a window on the other wall.. Is this an interir wall? Or an Exterior wall? If the other wall is exterior. then it would be possible to vent it there?? Just another option.

Pics always help. GrahamInVa (Great Job), came packed with photo's for his 1st thread.. Gives us a better idea of the lay-out.. Thanks and good luck

Sorry if I didnt explain properly what Im trying to do. Since I am using an OAK with the stove, I need to have a minimum on 12" from the exhaust vent cap, to any building opening. That is not a problem. The wall thimble will be about 12" from the window anyway, so once I add the 45 degree elbow and another 12" of pipe, I will have plenty of clearance.

My actual question was not about the exhaust vent, but the stove itself.

Dexter, I did look into that Wall thimble that has both features and it looks like thats the best way to go. Thanks for the info.

mazcrumple said:
Sorry if I didnt explain properly what Im trying to do. Since I am using an OAK with the stove, I need to have a minimum on 12" from the exhaust vent cap, to any building opening. That is not a problem. The wall thimble will be about 12" from the window anyway, so once I add the 45 degree elbow and another 12" of pipe, I will have plenty of clearance.

My actual question was not about the exhaust vent, but the stove itself.

Dexter, I did look into that Wall thimble that has both features and it looks like thats the best way to go. Thanks for the info.

I'm pretty sure you can put it right in front of the window. As long as you maintain your clearance to combustibles.

Don't forget to check local building codes and homeowner's insurance

My stove and town requirements are no exhaust termination within 4feet of a window. The pipe can go out the wall close to a window, but the end of the pipe can not open up within 4ft. I ended up with a INSERT, because I would have had to run the pipe up and up and up.

Status
Not open for further replies.