Pellet Stove Won't Ignite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Domoviye

Jan 9, 2020
Marathon
Hey there,
My Pleasant Hearth PH35PS stove won't ignite the pellets.
The pellets are good, I opened up a fresh bag and they were nice and dry.
The igniter glows, and seems to be running properly.
The LED starts off green flashing for the start up/ignition sequence.
After about 20 minutes the LED turns red for missed ignition.
I'm thinking it's a problem with the air supply, but after vacuuming and cleaning everything, paying special attention to the vents and convention blower, it still doesn't ignite.

Any help, suggestions or advice would be great, it's cold here even with my other heaters running.
Thanks.

Reactions: Domoviye
Thanks for the response, it's appreciated.
I actually have the exact same manual open on my computer. I've owned this stove for 4 years with few problems, this is a new one for me.

I clean the inside daily, and use a tube to get into the exhaust every 3 or 4 days. I also cleaned the outside exhaust pipe with a special brush.
I did let the motor get a bit too dusty, but it's now well cleaned.
And the burn pot is the right way around.

Thanks.

How dirty was the combustion blower? It may have run hot and got a little weak and not moving enough air. Door gasket dollar bill test? Is there a gasket on the ash pan? Cleaned the holes in the burn pot

Last edited:
How dirty was the combustion blower? It may have run hot and got a little weak and not moving enough air. Door gasket dollar bill test? Is there a gasket on the ash pan? Cleaned the holes in the burn pot
I don't think the combustion blower is that dirty, but that sounds like it could be the problem. Will get to that tomorrow.
Almost certain the door gasket is solid, and there is no gasket on the ash pan. And the burn pot is good.

Thanks.

What pellets? My Englander is having a hard time lighting green supremes Appalachian hardwoods. All other brands fire right up.

What pellets? My Englander is having a hard time lighting green supremes Appalachian hardwoods. All other brands fire right up.
I use Canawick Hardwood Pellets, I've used them for 3 years with no problem. Last year I even used a few bags that were well over a year old and they burned properly.

The combustion blower was the problem.
Took it out today, used q-tips, tweezers and a vacuum cleaner on each individual part, put it all back together and now I have a beautiful fire.
Many thanks, you've saved my electricity bill.

My fourth season with a PH35PS, glad you got it working, I’ve never had a problem with the convection blower getting clogged up. One thing to watch is making sure the igniter is centered, mine has a bit of ‘play’ and if it gets bumped during cleaning ignition can fail. I just ordered a new igniter because they don’t last forever. Burning Curran 70/30 blend 3+/- tons a year 980 sqft ranch house.